mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rockshox Revelation RCT3 vs RLT

What is the difference between Revelation RCT3 and the RLT?

mtbr member
    3 position lockout

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread because I have the exact same question! Is that the only difference, the 3 position lock-out? RockShox's site lists Black Box Motion Control for the RCT, and just plain Motion Control for the RLT. I'm wondering what that means, and if there is any meaningful difference between those?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread because I have the exact same question! Is that the only difference, the 3 position lock-out? RockShox's site lists Black Box Motion Control for the RCT, and just plain Motion Control for the RLT. I'm wondering what that means, and if there is any meaningful difference between those?
    RLT Ti has Black Box Motion Control RLT only older Motion Control.

It seems, that all 2012 REVs are only in tapered version!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by migadeath View Post
    RLT Ti has Black Box Motion Control RLT only older Motion Control.

It seems, that all 2012 REVs are only in tapered version!
    Thanks! I hadn't paid attention to a Ti / non-Ti difference! How much difference does the Black Box version make - is it worth going for?

I saw that about the tapered steerers for the 2012s. I thought I saw some straight 1 1/8 steerers at Chain Reaction. I'll be looking for a 2011, though, if I can find a deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    Thanks! I hadn't paid attention to a Ti / non-Ti difference! How much difference does the Black Box version make - is it worth going for?

I saw that about the tapered steerers for the 2012s. I thought I saw some straight 1 1/8 steerers at Chain Reaction. I'll be looking for a 2011, though, if I can find a deal.
    In my opinion it is worth. In 2011 line RLT Ti have DualFlow rebound witch high speed expansion and RLT not! Hi speed is factory set, but ai find it very useful in big bumps! Overall BlackBox MoCo seems to be more smooth and controled. I can compare with Revelation 426 U-TurnAir 100-130 from 2007 with standard MoCo.

In 2012 line is DualFlow rebound standard in all REVs, I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In 2012 blackbox motion control is gone altogether from the sram lineup, the Ti stuff gone as well (too expensive to make I assume). All revelations now have motion control DNA and dual flow rebound. It seems like the only difference between the 2012 RCT3 and RLT is the 3 position lockout vs the 2 position lockout, the damping system is the same on both.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just bought a Giant Anthem x 29er. Love the bike, Iit comes with the RockShox Monarch RT3. There were no manuals on how to set up this rear suspension does anyone know where I might be able to find some set up instructions on the RT3

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Does anybody know if the 2012 RCT3 is full lockout (ie. it doesn't move) or is it a "lock" so it adds alot of damping and doesn't move that much?

mtbr member
    From Bike Rumor:

• XX – Uses the XLoc hydraulic lockout and does away with external compression settings to save weight.
    • RCT3 – a new format that has three distinct positions: open, threshold and locked, with separate external low-speed compression damping control. This is their new “best” option with the most user control over settings.
    • RLT – their standard compression control that lets you set it from fully open to fully closed or anywhere in between, with adjustable threshold via Floodgate.
    • RL – Same as RLT but with a factory-set threshold setting.
    2012 Rockshox Technologies Sneak Peak – Forks – Lighter, More Adjustable, More 29er - Bike Rumor

mtbr member
    This is from twenty-nine inches:

Rock Shox Announces 2012 Fork Line Up: New Revelation 140mm Fork & More

The XX SID and Revelation have the option of the XLoc control over the Motion Control DNA damper. The RCT3 Damper is a new three position setting damper with the following choices: Open, Threshold, and Lock. Basically, wide open, in between, and locked out. There is a separate low speed compression adjuster on the RCT3 as well. The RLT version is essentially what you are used to with Motion Control. Adjustable compression from wide open to lock, and the low speed compression adjustment with the new Dual Flow rebound and new DNA spring tube inside. The RL version loses the low speed compression adjuster, which is instead a factory pre-set, but is otherwise the same as the RLT version.
    Personally I'd opt for the RCT3 over the RLT, the three settings is simpler.

Bike Radar has a good write-up on this:

RockShox SID 29 World Cup XX Fork Review - BikeRadar

Damper options

We had zero issues with the XX DNA damper, which is the best performing remote lockout in the business, especially if you’re using other SRAM components, because it mates so well with their shifters and brake levers (by way of MatchMaker X). However, we didn't notice any difference between the latest version and that on a two-year-old RockShox Reba we were comparing it against. We're also keen to try the new, more advanced RCT3 damper that RockShox unveiled with the fork.

Handlebar lockouts are really only good for those traditional straight up, straight down cross-country courses where you’re pushing the button twice a lap. Anywhere else – particularly short-track events, where we found we were locking and unlocking the SID an estimated 36 times in the course of a 30-minute race – fiddling with the lockout is a distraction from the more important business of pedaling and steering. On top of this, you’re forced to compromise the damper’s downhill abilities, as it’s absent of a high-speed circuit.

We see the new RCT3 damper as potentially a much better option for the average rider, as it offers three settings — open, platform and lockout — and the ability to tune low-speed compression. If the damper works well, we can imagine running the platform setting for a whole race, which would mean we wouldn’t touch the damper once. It comes down to individual preference, but it's good to see RockShox offering riders the choice.
    Also check out this article:

RockShox Release 2012 SID 29 And Reba Fork Details - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead View Post
    Does anybody know if the 2012 RCT3 is full lockout (ie. it doesn't move) or is it a "lock" so it adds alot of damping and doesn't move that much?
    I have had some trouble figuring out the lockout/low speed/open switch on my 2012 RCT3. The way mine works is that turning the knob counter-clockwise (away from the lock icon) locks it out. The lockout is pretty firm on slow inputs (pedalling) but remarkably active on fast hits. It is not an absolute lock, as it has a "blow off".

It seems like something is wrong though because of the turning the know away from the lock locks the fork out. I can't tell if there is much low speed compression in either of the other settings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Rockshox revelation rtc3 dual position

I have the same question is the "lockout" supposed to be a complete lockout or just a "minimal travel" setting. My fork feels stiffer when in that position but not completely locked out. On my fork the lockout position seems to be when the switch is pointing all the way down (I.e about 5 o'clock position).

Thoughts would be appreciated

mtbr member
    The fork will still move with a hard enough bump. If you rotate the LSC knob fully clockwise wile in "lockout" the fork will be very firm. It will still move a little though (2-5mm), but this is entirely normal. If the fork moves too easily in these settings, the oil levels may be off in your fork.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks for that!! Think i might be needing an oil change

One more thing...I presume the "open" setting will be at the top position and then the "threshold" in the middle and then lockout at the bottom? Its just confusing cause the dial says "lockout" on one end and "motion control DNA" on the other end which makes you think open might be in the middle of those 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badch952 View Post
    One more thing...I presume the "open" setting will be at the top position and then the "threshold" in the middle and then lockout at the bottom? Its just confusing cause the dial says "lockout" on one end and "motion control DNA" on the other end which makes you think open might be in the middle of those 2
    Exactly right. Open at top, threshold at middle and lockout at bottom.
    Just be aware that the LSC dial will have an effect in any of the three postions, so for example, you can have the fork in "threshold" and run about 2-3 clicks LSC and the fork will not really bob when out of the saddle, but will open for even small bumps.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks again.

having a play with the fork now I think it needs a service and new oil as there is no real difference in compression of the fork when i have it in lockout versus open (even when the LSC is on max). It compresses as easily and to the same extent regards of it being in any of the 3 positions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    @badch952:
    I had some issues figuring out my SID RCT3, and it turned out that the damper unit was not functioning when I bought it. When working correctly, there is a noticeable difference between open (full counter-clockwise - linear damping feel), threshold (middle - firmness for first little bit of travel, then linear damping feel), and lockout (full clockwise - firmness that is difficult to push through, but does react on forceful inputs). A good way to see how the dampers are working is to take all the air out of the spring and work the fork with your hands so that you can feel just the damping forces.

See this post for how I fixed it: 2012 RockShox SID RCT3 Compression Not Functioning Properly

Would have preferred to fix through warranty, but did not buy locally.

KD