mtbr member
    May 2004

Rockshox Revelation dual air service

Hi all-

I finally got around to servicing my fork, i.e. opening it up. It's a 2010 Rev Team, with blackbox. when I purchased it new, it was listed at 140mm travel. Seemed that way from the measurements I took but with pos/neg air effecting that I didn't really care to investigate travel as the fork worked so well for me. No problems thus far, just felt I needed to give it some lube and care. I ordered the 'Basic Service Kit' for 2010 Dual Air from Jenson.

I've pulled off the lowers..the seals are ugly and need placing. Check. The kit comes with seals and foam rings. Got it. I then pulled out the dual air assembly. After looking at the 2010 Technical Manual pdf, I was expecting to see something different. What I see looks what they are calling Reba (with a foam ring around the piston top), but when I looked at the schematic diagram, it looks somewhat like what I have. My piston foam ring looks mangled and has rotated on itself. It looks like there is still a 10mm spacer, so that seems right. Attached are the manual pix vs. mine.

I don't see a foam ring for the piston in the service kit i purchased. I actually don't see anything other than wiper seals that would allow me to finish the service, actually. I think I purchased the wiper seal kit, more of an external kit, instead of the proper one to do the dual air service. Does anyone know what proper service kit should I have for the dual-air assembly overhaul? What about the damper assembly? I feel like this tech manual is a little off, too, with the mistaken references to my Revelation internals in the instructional pics. Maybe this is how the older Rev's were?

And no, I haven't called SRAM, hoping that the vast knowledge of users here might be more helpful..

Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockshox Revelation dual air service-dual-air_all-servicekit.jpg  

Rockshox Revelation dual air service-air_assemblies.jpg  

Rockshox Revelation dual air service-dual-air_pulled_out.jpg  

Rockshox Revelation dual air service-dual-air_foamring.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just wanted to add that I ended up ordering another service kit. For nearly 30 dollars I will be getting the o-rings I need as well as the foam ring and wavy washer, bushing, etc. Seems a bit steep but obviously my fork needs it. Does anyone know if it's possible to order individual parts (foam seal, o-rings) from SRAM, or are these kits 'it'?

I think my post is more of a rant than anything. Apologies there. Maybe it will help someone else. The figure that shows the "All-Travel Configurations" should have my config under '140mm' Revelation the right side, but it doesn't look like it at all! Peh.

mtbr member
    The foam ring you have is meant to go below the wiper seals on the fork, not on the piston assembly. The foam ring in the service manual is for the Reba only, not the Revelation. That is why it is stated in bold letters "REBA ONLY".
    Basically with Rockshox service manuals, you ignore anything that is not for your specific fork. The manuals are rather generic in that they do have service info for a number of model forks, but that is because a lot of the basic service info is the same across a number of ranges, but it does not mean that all the information provided is meant for all the forks.
    Just rebuild the fork without the foam ring (or use it in the correct place) and you should be fine. Also, all the o-rings supplied in the seal kits should be all you need to service the air spring.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

nocturnal oblivion
    Looks like you have a Reba compression damper? I've rebuilt my 2009 Rev dual air countless times, definitely no foam ring.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks folks. I was out of town for a few days there. I may dive in tomorrow and possibly give SRAM a call about the foam ring below the piston. If I can break from my day job that is.

Why an unserviced Revelation would have those (Reba) internals is beyond me. I bought it new from a reputable online retailer, not random ebay seller, so should have been proper qa/qc.. one would think.

Ya, the (other) foam rings located below wiper seals on the lowers. Got that. I got the sram tool in the mail the other day since I think I may be doing the seal service again in the future. 20 bucks for a milled piece of plastic, but I tend to buy bike tools when I need them, so..it's worth it. Thanks for the info on the kit, kiwi

mtbr member
    May 2004

cleared things up

I got the additional spare parts kit today, and what I have was in there; including small foam ring. I did some searching for Reba info and found the 2011 tech manual.. it said also revelation had the same setup so I searched for the 2011 Revelation tech manual and lo and behold it's there. I've attached the pic here.

In a nutshell - if you have a 2010 Revelation, do not use the " TM_MY10 " pdf (for all forks 2010 model year) technical manual from SRAM but instead use the 2011 tech manual specific for the Revelation. And from others' comments and some net sleuthing, 2010 marked a change in the internals.

Shoulda done this kind of poking around from the beginning, I know. Hopefully the post will save someone else some time someday..

-Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockshox Revelation dual air service-rev_2011_techman_dualair_assembly.jpg