mtbr member
    May 2012

Rockshox -Recon Silver TK 29 vs XC32-

Hi guys.
    I am trying to decide between 2012 Trek Mamba or 2012 Trek Cobia.
    I have the cash for both and I feel that the components on both are good enough for me.
    On the other hand I dont know about the shocks, Recon is air .. XC32 is not.
    I am 63 and my weight about 260 lbs.
    I want to able to get the fork quite stiff and dont want the fork to break on me.

Is there alot of difference in those forks .. anyone that know of has something to say about this .. please comment.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think this year the recon silver TK solo air fork became the XC32 solo air. In any case coil sprung forks usually ship with medium weight springs which considering your weight you would need to replace out the coil spring for extra firm. I'd go with the air fork because you can adjust its stiffness easily. I weigh 220 and ride the recon silver, under 5 lbs smooth and adjustable.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarbone View Post
    I think this year the recon silver TK solo air fork became the XC32 solo air. In any case coil sprung forks usually ship with medium weight springs which considering your weight you would need to replace out the coil spring for extra firm. I'd go with the air fork because you can adjust its stiffness easily. I weigh 220 and ride the recon silver, under 5 lbs smooth and adjustable.
    Did you notice the date on the thread ?

I doubt very much that the OP is still trying to decide between 2012 Trek Mamba or 2012 Trek Cobia.

* Recon TK Solo Air forks are still made, they didn't become the XC32 Solo Air.