'Tis but a scratch

Rockshox Recon Silver Solo Air

I almost never lock out my fork. I guess I must have flipped it over for some stretch of pavement. Anyway, I noticed it was in the locked position for "who knows how long". So, I unlocked it and went on with life.

Shortly thereafter, I noticed that I didn't really see any difference between locked and unlocked. I know that it should be nearly rigid in locked but be able to compress on a hard hit. I think the term is "blow-by" or something like that. I'm not that concerned since I really don't care if I have this function. I'm actually surprised I flipped it. Wondering if it might have been during cleaning or something.

Anyway, I don't know if that is related or not, but felt I should share. Here is the real issue I am after...

I noticed that my shock doesn't seem to compress anywhere near the 100mm. I weigh about 195 and usually ride with about 125 psi. I put a wire tie on there and gave it my all. But, at most it compressed between 40-50mm.

I proceeded to release all the air pressure (0 psi) to see if I could compress it. I would've expected to be able to come damn close to full compression with 0 psi. But it seems to bottom out at about 50mm.

Yes, the full 100mm stanchion is exposed when not compressed.

My logic says that there must be too much oil pressure in the bottom. i.e. overfilled. If so, its probably been like that for awhile. If that is the case can you walk me through the procedure to remove the oil and install the right amount?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Class Clown
    I'm no expert but it sounds like some oil may have made it past a seal and leaked from the damper into the right lower leg. You can remove the lowers and see if there's alot of oil in the leg.

'Tis but a scratch
    Hmmm. Didn't think about the internal leak possibility. Looks like I'm going to have to try and service this shock soon or get it serviced.

Class Clown
    Could be a simple o-ring failure

'Tis but a scratch
    I just took it apart tonight with the help of the SRAM guide at this location: http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Iy...s/tm_my102.pdf

As it turns out my lock-out issue and my travel issue were likely one and the same. On the drive side upper of the TK Solo Air, there is a compression damper. It has an o-ring on the bottom of it that was off. It was probably knocked off the bottom of the damper when I was riding it locked out in rough terrain. That o-ring would normally keep the oil sealed in the chamber below the damper. So, with it just floating around in the oil, it wouldn't lock out or dampen properly. Since I have it apart, I'm doing the complete service.

I feel a lot more comfortable with this job and have a much better understanding of the inner workings of my fork. Plus, I'm using the opportunity to service the headset. This now has me down to just one job I haven't tackled myself yet - bottom-bracket. No rush for that just yet.

Class Clown
    Congrats. BB is a piece of cake. If you can service a fork you can do that.