Teach me! :-)

Rockshox Recon Silver R spring compatibility... Can i get some bells and whistles??

Hello, I have a pair of Rockshox recon silver r's 2012 120mm travel.

I find that the spring is too light for my riding style. I have played around with numerous adjustmets between pre-load and rebound. My question is that if I swap out the spring for a stiffer version will the oil weight need changing too?

My forks have no lock out or anything fancy just a pre-load on the top left stanchion and a rebound adjuster on the bottom right lower.

I have read that they come with a 'red' spring as standard is this true, im thinking of getting the stiffer 'blue' setup. can anyone provide a link to some springs for this model of recon

Also, can I install a U-turn coil in my standard recon's? What options are open to me, I cannot afford a new set of forks so im trying to make the best of what I have.

Thank you for your interest.

Class Clown
    Spring swap is easy enough just remove topcap take out the old one. Grease the new one and pop it in.

Check out the Rockshox spare parts catalog PDF.

You can get the Firm, blue spring p/n 11.4015.437.040 or X-Firm, black p/n 11.4015.437.050.

Another upgrade would be a motion control damper which would give you better damping, low speed compression adjustments and lockout. I "believe" the one from the Tora Trail should work p/n 11.4310.156.000.

Not sure about U-turn.

Class Clown
    To answer your other questions no you shouldn't need different oil weight and yes it should come with Medium, red spring.

Ok gotta go ride on this fine day check back in later!

mtbr member
    Yes you should be able to swap in a U-turn spring, just makes sure you get the correct spring and topcap.

Motion control damper would be the best upgrade. And a tube of Slick Honey to pack the wipers with.

Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    To answer your other questions no you shouldn't need different oil weight and yes it should come with Medium, red spring.

Ok gotta go ride on this fine day check back in later!
    Hey, Awesome info man! Thanks for your feedback! Can you have a quick look at a this question I posted about the control damper.

Hello, Can Anybody help me with a Rockshox recon poploc / motion control question?

I have a friend who is willing to sell me one of them for a sweet price however this guy thinks it wont work.

Any feedback is much appreciated, How was you ride?

'' Yes you should be able to swap in a U-turn spring, just makes sure you get the correct spring and topcap.

Motion control damper would be the best upgrade. And a tube of Slick Honey to pack the wipers with.''

Hey man much appreciated! Ive just started using the forum and its awesome.
    If you don't mind could you also take a look at this questionI posted regarding the Moco damper kit.

Hello, Can Anybody help me with a Rockshox recon poploc / motion control question?

Thank you :-)

Class Clown
    As for the poploc I noticed in the techdocs they do have one for your fork. Personally I am not a big fan and am swapping out my poploc for a crown adjust. If you want it though or are getting a good deal it may be worth it, and you can always remove the spring inside the damper and presto you have a crown adjust moco damper.

You need to be sure it's for the silver recons and not gold. Gold has aluminum stanchions instead of steel and the inside diameter is a bit different.

Class Clown
    I see from your other topic you said your fork acts like a pogo stick. Can you not slow down the rebound? Turning the dial on the leg from rabbit to turtle should make a noticeable difference in how the fork "bounces" back up.

How is the fork at compressing? Are you running through the travel too quickly?

Attachment 798444
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I see from your other topic you said your fork acts like a pogo stick. Can you not slow down the rebound? Turning the dial on the leg from rabbit to turtle should make a noticeable difference in how the fork "bounces" back up.

How is the fork at compressing? Are you running through the travel too quickly?
    Hey,

Sorry for the late reply. Was out all weekend on the bike.

I have played around with every possible combination of Preload and rebound but to no avail, I have a bit of knowledge about suspension from my motocross days but the settings have little or no affect on my forks.

I will try the spring upgrade and throw in the Moco damper simply because I'm getting a good deal on it.

Just one more thing I would like to ask regarding the poploc / moco damper. Is there also a damper at the bottom of the spring or just the one that goes into the top featured in the photo?

Here is a photo of the exact one I am being offered,
    Rockshox Recon Silver R spring compatibility... Can i get some bells and whistles??-pop.jpgRockshox Recon Silver R spring compatibility... Can i get some bells and whistles??-pop1.jpg

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it! I hope you had a good weekend?

Class Clown
    The rebound damper sits below the compression damper, you remove the lowers to get to it. If you don't feel like dealing with the remote there is a spring inside the moco damper that can be easily removed (i just did this). Just hold the damper in one hand and unscrew the topcap from it clockwise, it is reverse threaded.

Hey ,

Yea the crown adjust sounds like a better job, the less junk on the handlebar's the better. Thanks for the tip!

So will a new rebound damper be required for this upgrade along with the compression damper for the MOCO kit?

Sorry for all of the questions but I just want to get this right the first time round. :-)

Class Clown
    No the one you have will work fine.

mtbr member
    I've been trying to find a site offering the extra firm or firm springs but haven't had any luck. Located plenty of soft coils though.

Class Clown
    This site has the X-firm and lists the firm as out of stock but try calling them. Local bike shops can usually order these parts too.

Rockshox Coil/Shaft Assy 120mm Tora XC/SL Recon XC/SL/Race 2..

Im just wondering if the oil level will need altered when fitting the MOCO damper, SRAM states 118cc however once the dmaper has been fitted will this raise th oil level to a damaging level?

Class Clown
    It might. Do the damper swap with the spring out of the fork. That way you can compress the fork all the way. Do this as you install it if there is too much oil it will flow out the top. With the spring out and damper installed you should be able to compress the fork all the way.

mtbr member
    Look up the part number for the spring and google that. Some webstores will have teh wrong description, searching by the PN gets you the part you need.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice GT. I'm gonna give that a shot and see what turns up. And then there's the local bike shop route. I hear SRAM takes forever to ship parts though.

Update..After doing the part# search I located a site stocking all the coils. Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Tora Tuning Spring Kits. Thanks again bro

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmy View Post
    Thanks for the advice GT. I'm gonna give that a shot and see what turns up. And then there's the local bike shop route. I hear SRAM takes forever to ship parts though.

Update..After doing the part# search I located a site stocking all the coils. Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Tora Tuning Spring Kits. Thanks again bro
    Now that's a good find there, Irish!

Show me the money!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmy View Post
    I've been trying to find a site offering the extra firm or firm springs but haven't had any luck. Located plenty of soft coils though.
    Hey man,

TFtuned has got Tora/Recon springs 120mm they should work.

Tora Spring, 120mm, Firm, Blue - TF Tuned Shox