mtbr member

Rockshox Recon 351 lockout issues?

So a friend of mine recently bought a 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, and is having trouble with the stock fork. (Recon 351) At first, the lockout just wouldn't work and he wasn't too worried about it, however, recently, the fork has began to have some bigger issues. Now, when the lockout is off or on, the fork only moves about one inch before it feels like it bottoms out, and it locks out. The fork is barely functional as it. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or if anyone knows anything about fixing it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    rebound damper oring failed and leaked all the oil into the lower leg. buy a new oring (or ask your lbs, RS sent a bunch out), replace it, refill with oil and you're good to go!

classic hydraulic lock issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The o-ring sealing the bottom of the damper failed and the damper oil has leaked into the fork lower. As the oil level fell the lockout stopped working, and when the oil level became high enough in the lower, the fork start losing travel.

If he bought it from a shop, take it back and have them fix it under warranty. If you want to do it yourself, you can buy an o-ring kit in the classifieds from a user here.

EDIT: The guy's name is kirbster1966

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    The o-ring sealing the bottom of the damper failed and the damper oil has leaked into the fork lower. As the oil level fell the lockout stopped working, and when the oil level became high enough in the lower, the fork start losing travel.

If he bought it from a shop, take it back and have them fix it under warranty. If you want to do it yourself, you can buy an o-ring kit in the classifieds from a user here.

EDIT: The guy's name is kirbster1966

+1
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RamRider
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate it!

No worries. If it is new the shop should take care of you. If not gimme a PM and i will hook you up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Same thing happened to me. Bike is in the shop now awaiting a new fork. The shop said 2 others with the same problem have come in already with the same exact fork. Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future? Should I not lock the bike out at all?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by agnt004
    Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future?
    Hi,
    I just bought a recon 351 08 at a discount from jenson. I had the excact same issue as described in this thread from day one. Lock out was not working and the fork was bottoming out. I replaced the o-ring myself from the rock shox service kit. I bought the service kit at my local bike shop (part number 11.4015.250.000). You can get it here:
    http://www.bikeman.com/FK3993.html

The o-ring in the service kit is a little bit larger than the one that was mounted on my fork originally. Thus, I don't think it will happen in the future.

regards,
    ŘE

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I got SRAM to send me one of those O-rings and got it working as good as new.

mtbr member
    Good to hear! Go ride your bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well my LBS called me and said they are shipping the fork out to Rockshox for a repair. Rockshox decided it wants to fix my fork rather than give me a new one and it will take 10 business days to be fixed. Adding in shipping time, I'm looking at 3 weeks until my bike is back to normal. On the bright side, my LBS is going to install a loaner fork on my bike so I ride the trails in the meantime.