mtbr member

Rockshox Recon 351 Air problems

I have this fork on a hardtail frame, On one summer season, that came with the frame when I bought it. Ran into a problem after a couple rides. Fork only seems to have 1.5 ish inches of travel and bottome out. I have inspected and checked and reinflated air pressure and cannot seem to figure out what is wrong. I have a spare 130mm fork that I am currently running, but it is heavier and I would like to get thizs fork up and running.

Any help would be appreciated. I am willing to send off to get fixed and would like recommendations on how to fix it myself or reputable shops to send it off to...

Thanks,

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Step one, check how much travel the fork actually has from your product literature. Depending on how its spaced inside, that could be anywhere from 100 to 130 mm.

Let all the air out and collapse the fork. Tie on a zip tie to mark the fully compressed position. Then pump it back up.

If you have less than published travel, i would first check the damper oil level. Too much limits travel, too little feels just as weird, if not more.

When did you last service your fork? Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    let all the air out and compress the fork.if only 1.5 inches of travel still remains then the seal in the damper has popped and dumped all the damper oil into the bottom of the leg.
    Simple fix...just a seal kit.check the sram site for the service guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    Step one, check how much travel the fork actually has from your product literature. Depending on how its spaced inside, that could be anywhere from 100 to 130 mm.

Let all the air out and collapse the fork. Tie on a zip tie to mark the fully compressed position. Then pump it back up.

If you have less than published travel, i would first check the damper oil level. Too much limits travel, too little feels just as weird, if not more.

When did you last service your fork? Good luck!
    Excellent advice. It is the 130 for sure. I have not had it serviced and so with this problem thought might be a good time to start :-)

It won't pump up to normal travel.

John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob hughes
    let all the air out and compress the fork.if only 1.5 inches of travel still remains then the seal in the damper has popped and dumped all the damper oil into the bottom of the leg.
    Simple fix...just a seal kit.check the sram site for the service guide.
    This sounds about right. I was riding and about halfway through the ride noticed this new problem. Wasn't like that at beginning of ride, so a failure as you describe would match that. I will look at directions on seal kit and see if it is something I want to tackle.

Thanks,

John

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    This sounds about right. I was riding and about halfway through the ride noticed this new problem. Wasn't like that at beginning of ride, so a failure as you describe would match that. I will look at directions on seal kit and see if it is something I want to tackle.
    ^ This. It's a common problem with Rock Shox forks which they seem unwilling/unable to fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's most likely the inner seal head o-ring (see #7 and circled image below). There were a bunch of forks sent out with undersized o-rings.

Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.