Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Rockshox Monarch RT3 noise. Please help

My new 2013 rockshox monarch rt3 shock has about 2 rides on it and it has a "squeaky toy noise" upon compression and rebound. I don't understand, it is brand new only had it for a week and it makes this noise. It is very annoying and for close to $300 I dont think it should sound like that. Doe's anyone have a solution for this problem???

mtbr member
    May 2010
    does it make a wooshing sound?

mtbr member
    Take the shock off and turn it upside down so the gold part that slides in and out of the body is pointing up. Then take a little lube and put it around the seal. Leave it sit for a few hours to soak in. Its just a dry seal

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rockshox Monarch RT3 NOISE problem VIDEO!

Rockshox couldn't fix mine...Eventually I was sent a new shock under warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Do you mean the seal on the piston that seals the air can or the piston glide ring in the damper body?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes it sounds just like the video that was posted but somewhat quieter. I saw somewhere that there was a surface finish problem on the damper body for the 2012 version and earlier but I figured that it would have been fixed by now if that was the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundhouse 2200 View Post
    Do you mean the seal on the piston that seals the air can or the piston glide ring in the damper body?
    My shock did that too but when I but a little lube around the seal it stopped. I don't know if its the glide ring or the piston seal. I ended up having the shock rebuilt by Dirtlabs becasue the damper started to leak oil and I didn't have time for Sram to do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Was this the seal you lubed up or did you lube the piston seal that keeps air in the air can?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Was this the seal you lubed up or did you lube the piston seal that keeps air in the air can?
    The piston seal. I didn't take the shock apart. I just put it in a vice to hold it upright. And then dropped lube around the seal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I will have to give this a try and see if it works. Im guessing that the seals might not have been lubed up properly at the factory. Any recommended lube that is ok for rubber seals?

mtbr member
    I will have to give this a try and see if it works. Im guessing that the seals might not have been lubed up properly at the factory. Any recommended lube that is ok for rubber seals?
    I'm told they ship shocks and forks rather dry. I usually open them up and lube every thing right away. I didn't with this shock becasue of the second air chamber and I don't have the adapter to fill it. I just used an Teflon based lube I think it was finshline.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The only thing that I have on hand at the moment is some "white lightning" all purpose chain lube. I wonder if that will work. Also will the seals burn up and not work properly if I continue to ride without them being lubed well enough?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My shock does the same exact thing. Started about 2 hours into my first ride on my new bike last week. Drives me nuts. Called sram and they told me to go to my local dealer where i bought the bike. Went to the bike shop and they say its normal just to lube the stansion. I lubed it and it didnt do a thing. Not happy, when you spend big $ on a bike you expect it to work and not sound like a dogs chew toy... Looks like ill be buying a fox float ctd and selling the monarch on craigslist... Sucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A lot of people seem to say that the noise is normal but it just seems like this problem should be any easier fix than it is made out to be. When the noise starts and gets worse as the shock is used it makes me think that the seals are not greased properly and arent sliding smoothly.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think im going to take it apart and see if lubing it works. Ill report my findings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think after you take the air can off it would be a good idea to remount the shock on the bike and see if it still makes the noise without the air can. If it still sounds like a dogs squeaky toy at least we will know that its not a lubrication issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As stated in a previous thread:
    "That sound you're hearing is from the damping piston glide ring running on the inside of the body of the shock. It's making the sound due to a surface finish problem. Other than replacing the body of the shock, there is no fix"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    As stated in a previous thread:
    "That sound you're hearing is from the damping piston glide ring running on the inside of the body of the shock. It's making the sound due to a surface finish problem. Other than replacing the body of the shock, there is no fix"
    If thats the case why would it not sound like that right off the bat? Something had to change between the time i bought the bike and the time it started squeaking. I would suspect rockshox should be held liable and fix the issue with a new finish and replace all of the defective shocks. I think its Bull that my brand new bike sounds like a toy. It really drives me nuts out riding all i can think about is the damn squeaking.
    I still dont understand why it didnt sound like this from the getgo if its a finish problem. I guess my next phone call will be to trek asking them for a replacement/upgrade to a fox float ctd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Supafly9 View Post
    If thats the case why would it not sound like that right off the bat? Something had to change between the time i bought the bike and the time it started squeaking. I would suspect rockshox should be held liable and fix the issue with a new finish and replace all of the defective shocks. I think its Bull that my brand new bike sounds like a toy. It really drives me nuts out riding all i can think about is the damn squeaking.
    I still dont understand why it didnt sound like this from the getgo if its a finish problem. I guess my next phone call will be to trek asking them for a replacement/upgrade to a fox float ctd.
    I didn't notice anything until a couple rides. I initially thought my air can seals were dry but lube didn't help. I stumbled across this thread : Rockshox Monarch RT3 NOISE problem VIDEO! and decided to call SRAM. SRAM's usual response "take it back to your dealer" When I mentioned what I had read about an internal problem they said never heard of this. Two weeks later my dealer called to say the shock was repaired. Installed and within a half dozen cycles the noise was back! I could tell the shock had been disassembled because the rebound knob felt stiffer. In the end my dealer got me a new shock, they said it took a bit of coaxing. I didn't even mount the new shock as I sold it & went to a Fox.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Damn, that doesnt sound too promising for the rest of us doomed monarch owners. Looks like ill be wasting ~375$ for a float then. Im still going to dissasemble mine and see if i can fix it. Why not right, i've got nothing to loose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Absolutely, I really hope the lube does the trick even though the odds seem against it. When I ride the shock a little and it warms up it sounds like the squeaky noise gets just a little bit better. That makes me think when the seals get warm with friction they get softer and run along the surface of the shock more smoothly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hay all I have a big problem really need advice. I've just got my new 2013 nukeproof mega AM frame with 2013 rock shox monarch plus. It is makeing a clunk noise when I put in air . I've not Evan rode this yet . At 170psi it is a very loud clunk . At 50psi the noise is gone . Wtf ??? I'm dieing to go ride my new toy but I'm not going to risk rideing and doing damage . Any help would be great I'm at a loss

mtbr member
    May 2010

Rockshox Monarch RT3 noise. Please help

There is something wrong with the shock it shouldn't make that noise don't ride call dealer that shock came from or bike company

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks sheddin22 I've not rode it since I brought it which is a shame. Sending it off Monday to FISHER for repair or replacment .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just bought a closeout 2013 giant anthem x advanced 1 one with the Monarch Rl and after one ride I started hearing that squeaking plastic toy sound that most people seems to have with the RS monarch. Took it back to the lbs, new seals, rebuilt shock and now it seems to make a even more distinct sound with the new seals. Should I run back to the lbs and perhaps better lube the seals (which I suspect wasn't done correctly) ?

Is the noise just a sign that the seals might be running a bit dry or like someone suggested it's a bigger issue, like the poor finish , and I should as for a replacement ?

Has anyone just tried re-lubricating the seals and experienced an improvement in the sound department ?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast