In Armor We Trust

RockShox Lyrik Coil U-Turn vs. Marzocchi 55 ATA

I'm wondering which fork to run on a Bottlerocket setup with a Fox DHX 5.0 coil rear, and which one to throw on a frame that will be sold. Both forks are used, in good shape, and either '07 or '08 models, not 100% sure. Bike is used mostly for mtb park/jumps/freeride, but also the occasional mild DH.

The RockShox is 115-160mm adjustable travel, while the Marz is 120-160mm, so not much difference there. As far as retail prices when they were new, and prices for the current models, the Lyrik is slightly more expensive. I remember reading about the 55 ATA having some issues too, but not sure what exactly was breaking on them? Don't know much about late-model RockShox suspensions, including the Lyrik.

So yeah, which one to keep, which one to sell, and why? Forgive me if there's an obvious answer...
    DH/FR: Intense 951
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    edit: just saw you said an 08 ata. ive never heard of one holding up long term. the o-rings on the air springs are undersized and leak. this causes the fork to lose travel and suck down. requires you to tear down the fork and replace the o-rings with bigger aftermarket orings.

the lyrik is pretty proven.
    Last edited by One Pivot; 09-15-2010 at 12:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Marzocchi 55 ATA = sell.

In Armor We Trust
    My mistake, the Marz is actually a 66 ATA. Does that make a difference?
    DH/FR: Intense 951
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would go for the lyrik hands down. I have never heard of an unhappy lyrik user.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
    My mistake, the Marz is actually a 66 ATA. Does that make a difference?
    2008-09 & any ATA is questionable.

mtbr member
    Lyrik all way. You chose from a variety of damper upgrades for it which is nice.

mtbr member
    I have an 08 XC700 with an ATA and the TST2 damper and found the following issues with it:

- From factory, before you ride rebuild the fork and add at least 1ml of light weight oil 2.5wt inside both ATA chambers. This will keep the rubber seals wet and won't allow the air to leak between chambers (Reported SAG)

- Try removing the PAR chamber completely. I found a more linear spring feel when removing the + (Bottom) chamber assembly. There's a writeup in here .

- The TST2 damper usually has either too much oil of not enough so open it up and refill with 2.5wt. When filling stop at about 2 inches shy of the top of the damper tube. There should be a slight gap so when inserting the micro damper it won't over-pressurize during compression. Also don't forget to run the piston up and down a few times to get rid of any air at the bottom.

S

usually cranky
    im thinkin youd have an easier time selling the frame with the lyrik but id want the lyrik on my personal bike. kinda a double edged sword. maybe sell the frame with the lyrik, sell the 66 alone, and but a new fork for the br.