mtbr member

Rockshox Judy T2 - "plunger bolt" replacement? needed?

My first post here and I am new to mountainbikes (actually first bicycle I've owned in probably 20 years). Please excuse my ignorance.

I needed a bike for trails and to get back into shape. I have a smaller budget to start. After a few days of research, I decided that the $120 Mongoose bike that WalMart sells (but Mongoose doesn't list on their website) wasn't going to cut it for me. I found this bike for $100 on craigslist - a 1998 Schwinn Moab 2 (aluminum), well maintained in great condition. Everything as indicated on bikepedia is all there except for the seat http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UX_3QrXvviU
    Rockshox Judy T2 - "plunger bolt" replacement? needed?-imgp9817.jpg

The only issue I've found is with the fork. It looks like the the plunger bolt was replaced with this thing that wont even go in all the way (hits the bottom of the fork end of the ...fork).
    I used a 22mm socket to remove both of the top cap assemblies and took a good look. The elastomers, springs (looks like someone switched to green - according to the manual those are the firm ones you can swap in) and oil all look good.
    Rockshox Judy T2 - "plunger bolt" replacement? needed?-imgp9815r.jpgRockshox Judy T2 - "plunger bolt" replacement? needed?-imgp9816r.jpg
    I tried to search around, but I can't find out what these plunger bolts do and if this is going to be safe to ride as is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'd swap it to match the Allen head bolt in the left leg. I have a T2 in pieces right now waiting on parts and know first hand how difficult it is to find info on the T2 because of its limited production and essentially just being a glorified Indy.

Those lower bolts are M8x15mm and should have a crush washer under it. Each leg should have 10cc of 10-15wt fork oil to help lube the lower bushing; the proper bolt/washer combo will keep that oil inside and your fork (and you) happy.

Check out page 56 of the PDF I listed below for the T2 schematic. This fork is pretty simple; don't be afraid to tear it down and service it properly if you're moderately handy.

http://www.kalnai.at/technik/pdf/200...0catalogue.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Also, Risse Racing still has parts like coil springs, neutral shafts and cartridges if you need those or want to extend to the 80mm "Long Travel".

risseracing.com

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedThrills View Post
    I'd swap it to match the Allen head bolt in the left leg. I have a T2 in pieces right now waiting on parts and know first hand how difficult it is to find info on the T2 because of its limited production and essentially just being a glorified Indy.

Those lower bolts are M8x15mm and should have a crush washer under it. Each leg should have 10cc of 10-15wt fork oil to help lube the lower bushing; the proper bolt/washer combo will keep that oil inside and your fork (and you) happy.

Check out page 56 of the PDF I listed below for the T2 schematic. This fork is pretty simple; don't be afraid to tear it down and service it properly if you're moderately handy.

http://www.kalnai.at/technik/pdf/200...0catalogue.pdf

Thank you!

Does this shaft bolt touch the bottom out bumper or does it not reach anything internal?
    I'll go out and grab that M8x15mm bolt ASAP Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    In that leg the bolt goes straight into the neutral shaft. In the other leg the bolt passes through the bottom out bumper first before it gets to the neutral shaft.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Let me know if you cannot source the bolt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedThrills View Post
    Let me know if you cannot source the bolt.
    I have one more place to check, but do you have an online source for it?