mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Rockshox Duke XC Rebuild

Hey Everybody,
    I just bought a 2002 Rockshox Duke XC 80mm a few days ago. It's a little old, but it's replacing an even older Manitou SX. I'm tired of microgrease ports, 70mm of suspension and the flex, and I think the Duke is up for the task. It needs a good rebuild, and I'm planning my moves carefully because I've never done anything like this before. I was thinking of starting with Enduro seals and new o-rings. I'm not quite sure which weight oil I should use. I like a plush fork, but a big problem with the Manitou was that it would bob like crazy when I was out of the saddle. Is there any middle ground with oil? If the issue can't be addressed with oil, I was wondering (and this is a stretch) if I can buy a lockout damper to replace the current damper in the non-air side of the fork. I don't know if I'm missing anything with the rebuild, now I just need to get a torque wrench and I can start! Any kind of input is appreciated - Thanks
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart

mtbr member
    I have a Duke XC. Nice fork. They are not too hard to rebuild. I do believe I needed a pair of good snap-ring pliers to remove a large snap-ring. I think it was so I could replace the air seal on the air piston. I bought my new air seal O-ring at a auto parts store. For oil I have been using silkolene fork oil. I use 5 wt in the damper. I've blended 5wt and 20wt to get 15 wt (or close enough to it), for use in the spring side. I think 5 wt alone would work ok. Rockshox had a good service manual for that line of forks. It served me well.

mtbr member
    By the way, if you have the bushings replaced, have the old bushings driven all the way down, leave them in the fork, and then install new ones. If the bushings are pulled out, it can cause big problems with installing the new ones. I know. My LBS had to get me new lowers from Rockshox because after they pulled the old bushings and installed new ones, the fork stanchions would not fit in the fork lowers anymore!

mtbr member
    Also, your going to need some of that elusive Rockshox Redrum to pour in the air chamber on top of the air piston. I've also used 20 wt fork oil + some fully synthetic grease Superlube or pedro's synlube) mixed together to achieve the high viscosity required.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks Moose

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You should be able to use 80w gear oil in place of the Redrum for air chamber.

After putting new bushings in, assuming they're properly position, you sometimes need to insert the fork leg and lever it hard back and forth to loosen the bushing and properly seat it. Pulling the old bushings or not has nothing to do with it, so simply pull them. However, if you've never even overhauled a fork before, you should let someone else do that for you.

To be honest, I doubt you need new o-rings. Probably all the fork needs is a good disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly with new fluids.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    To be honest, I'm a little confused about the bushings. There wasn't any mention of them in the Rockshox service guide. I don't really know what they are, where they are, or what their purpose is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootfreak
    To be honest, I'm a little confused about the bushings. There wasn't any mention of them in the Rockshox service guide. I don't really know what they are, where they are, or what their purpose is.
    They're what allow the two parts of the fork to slide relative to each other. It's something you generally don't need to worry about, and aren't considered the user serviceable part anyway.

mtbr member
    I'm having my Duke XC shox rebuilt. I considered scrapping it since the labor alone is $80, and with parts, close to $150. I know that's a bit steep, but I will practically have a new shock when done. I'm actually looking forward to getting hardtail back as it is at least 5lbs lighter than my full suspension. I also have one of the top guys in my area working on it.

mtbr member
    Forgot to add, I got that Rockshox manual for the shox online thinking I could do it myself, but had to stop and know my limitations. I feel more comfortable knowing a professional is rebuilding rather my dumbass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought mine used knowing it had a small leak (air and fluid). I've been riding it for about a year now. I have to put air in every day when I ride.

It's going to feel great to know that I don't have to fill the air chambers with air or worry about riding without enough shock fluid.

I can't wait to use the "U-turn" adjustment instead of just keeping it in one position because when ever I move it to fast the air seems to exit more quickly.

I'd like to think I'm mechanically inclined to replaces a few washer and rebuild my rig (fork).

What is the main cause of leaking fluid and loss of air pressure for this exact fork?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    I think 5 wt alone would work ok.

I don't think so. wt would be too thin and would pass through the damper too easily thus reducing the ability for the damper to control the movement of the fork. The rebound would be too fast and it would blow through the travel pretty easily compared to having 15wt. The opposite would happen with a heavier wt oil. Just go with the spec'ed 15 wt. Grab a quart of the shelf at Walmart. You can use synthetic too.
    I am selling an 08 Recon 351 for sale. PM if interested. 7-1/2'' Steerer Tube

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is it possible to put a remote control in your rockshox duke xc, have you guys tought about it?

mtbr member

2002 Rock Shox Duke XC Rebuild Kit (?)

I already contact Jensen USA. Nice webshop! and the livechat is most excellent.Their kit is not for the 2002 Duke XC.
    I'm going to keep looking...
    Thanks in advance!
    I often start riding and cannot stop.

mtbr member
    So posted a few years ago. Wanted to give a quick update. Had my Duke XC rebuilt for only like $40 plus parts ($75 overall I think), but now I hear an annoying knocking sound everytime I engage it/hit something. The shock works fine, but it almost feels like it's loose? Anyone else have this experience? Anyway to fix it?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    So posted a few years ago. Wanted to give a quick update. Had my Duke XC rebuilt for only like $40 plus parts ($75 overall I think), but now I hear an annoying knocking sound everytime I engage it/hit something. The shock works fine, but it almost feels like it's loose? Anyone else have this experience? Anyway to fix it?

Thanks.
    I have the same issue with my 2005 RS Duke SL (MotionControl version). I will disasseble it next week (or maybe the week after that), using the RS service manual. Nevertheless, I don't have any idea what is the problem. Strange and annoying...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know this is an OLD thread, but as I am now the new owner of an old Duke XC 80mm, I was wondering what you last two posters found regarding the noise/knocking issue. Thanks.
    - Chris
    '96 Trek 990 SHX / '08 Gunnar Crosshairs