mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Rockshox Ario R ....lockout?

So my bike came with a Rockshox Ario R it looks much like this one...

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/ario-r

while it states it has a lock out, i cant seem to find it on the shock.

this is a serious question, haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It does not state it has lock out, it states it has a lock out option. To get the option, you have to have either the RL (R for rebound, which you have, L for lockout, which you do not) or the RLR (second R for remote). Sorry, no lockout on your shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ah yeah, this is what i assumed, but they way it is worded threw me off...."Featuring a rock-solid lockout and a remote option". It seemed to imply that it had a lockout, but that it being remote was an option. Thanks for clarifying!

mtbr member
    I have an Ario RL on my Camber. Lockout was a must-have when I was looking for my first real FS bike -- lots of bike specs highlight it as a "premium" feature -- but in retrospect I think it's pretty useless. Honestly the only time I've ever used lockout is when riding on pavement, which isn't often. It's too much of a pain in the arse (and dangerous) to fiddle with in on constant up-and-down trail riding.

If you are irritated by pedal bob, you should consider saving up for a shock with a platform -- remote lockout is an option for some, I guess, but I wouldn't want to deal with another trigger/cable . Otherwise lockout is fairly useless for trail riding, IMO. Suspension is for plushness and traction, so I don't see much of a reason to turn it off.

Just trying to cheer you up in case you're bummed that you're missing a feature that you probably would rarely use

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ha, thanks for trying to cheer me up, but im not bothered by it at all. The bike (2011 Felt Virtue Sport) rides really nice and doesnt really bob at all. While its not my Litespeed road bike i was pleasantly surprised at how well it pedaled. I was just wondering if it did in fact have a lockout. Id probably only use it for riding on pavement to get to a trail.

mtbr member
    I also have the "R" siries on my Fuji and I would agree.....Lockout was a must-have when I was looking for my first real FS bike -- lots of bike specs highlight it as a "premium" feature -- but in retrospect I think it's pretty useless. Honestly the only time I've ever used lockout is when riding on pavement, which isn't often. It's too much of a pain in the arse (and dangerous) to fiddle with in on constant up-and-down trail riding.
    You can make me grow old, but you can't make me grow up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    ha, thanks for trying to cheer me up, but im not bothered by it at all. The bike (2011 Felt Virtue Sport) rides really nice and doesnt really bob at all. While its not my Litespeed road bike i was pleasantly surprised at how well it pedaled. I was just wondering if it did in fact have a lockout. Id probably only use it for riding on pavement to get to a trail.
    hey there, so i was just searching for a rear rockshox lockout for my bike and found this.. funny thing is you have the same bike as me too. so my question is did you ever get to change to a lockout option or did you stick with what it came with (rockshox ario r) ? i find it a pain to pedal uphill on street surface, its extra work, i am comparing this to my previous bike which was a ghost asx and it did have lockout and i have to say it worked really well. wish this one had the same. anyway would like to know what you went for .. cheers