mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Rock Shox XC30 TK

So here'es the basic story. I bought my wife a 2012 Giant Yukon FX which came with the Suntour XCM V3 100mm fork w/lockout. She kept complaining of the front end feeling squishy and loose. So seeing as how we ride the same size I swapped her bikes last time we went to the trails. This fork is TRASH. It pogos all over the place, flexs through any turn, the lockout only works if you are off the bike (which makes it pretty much useless in my opinion), and the preload basically doesnt work. I cant convince her to spend the money on the X-Fusion Enix RL or the Velvet (which is whats going on my 2010). So I began looking at cheaper options. Seeing as how my 2010 RS Dart 2 works just fine (its not a great fork but it functions properly and the lockout on the fly is nice), I was looking at the RS XC Series. Pricepoint has the XC30 TK on sale for $163. Anybody have any input on the fork? I understand that the XC32 TK is basically the Tora. Does that mean the XC30 is just a 30mm stanchion Tora for all practical purposes?
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Does that mean the XC30 is just a 30mm stanchion Tora for all practical purposes?
    I believe so Yes
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    I understand that the XC32 TK is basically the Tora. Does that mean the XC30 is just a 30mm stanchion Tora for all practical purposes?
    Compared to the 2011 Tora...yes

Compared to the previous Tora with tapered wall cro-mo stanchions no...the Recon Silver is the replacement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The xc28 TK they have on sale for $90 would be an improvement. I don't know if spending an extra $73 for the xc30 would accomplish anything.

mtbr member
    Bluesky cycling has the OEM XC30TK for 109 and the Recon silver for $164 if that helps you. The XC line is quite heavy but functional. I've built a few cheapy bikes with the XC28. Its a boat anchor...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rock Shox XC 28 TK Coil Fork Weight: 2223g

Rock Shox TK 30 Coil Fork Weight: 2180g

Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Coil Fork Weight: 2245g

They all weigh about the same (5lbs) until you get to the Recon Gold level, but I suspect they are all lighter than the Suntour. At least the xc28 is a working fork.

btw...the XC28 is $79 the Disk only version is $90

I just noticed your bike is a 2012. You might consider taking it back to the dealer for a fork replacement / fix or upgrade credit under warranty.

I've seen that those Suntour forks are hit or miss, some of them actually sort of, kind of, work ok for a while, but some appear to be defective right out of the box, or quit working correctly after 100 miles or so.

That they put those things on $800 bikes is what really amazes me.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 07-11-2012 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And this is on a $1050 bike :\. Since the bike is barely even dirty Im going to talk to the LBS about any kind of credit. The fork "works" according to how its supposed to work, its just a POS. I do believe the preload function to be inoperable though. Ill ride it up there saturday and see what they think. Probably end up ordering that XC28.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Former Bike Wrench
    And this is on a $1050 bike :\. Since the bike is barely even dirty Im going to talk to the LBS about any kind of credit. The fork "works" according to how its supposed to work, its just a POS. I do believe the preload function to be inoperable though. Ill ride it up there saturday and see what they think. Probably end up ordering that XC28.
    The XC28 has smaller diameter stanchions than the Suntour...if you're complaining of flexing issues then reducing the stanchion diameter is headed in the wrong direction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The 30mm stanchion suntour flexs alot more than my 28mm dart 2 ever though about.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Former Bike Wrench
    The 30mm stanchion suntour flexs alot more than my 28mm dart 2 ever though about.
    A Dart feels like a wet noodle to me these days, I can only imagine the Suntour then feels like the old 25.4mm legged forks then!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My dart really isnt that bad. I mean its not a great fork but its at least tolerable. And ive put it through some hell and it hasnt even thought about failing. Part of the reason I'm contemplating putting the XC series on hers.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You could do that for under $100, but when you upgrade your fork just pass your current fork down the line, at least you're investing money into an upgrade..that's mostly what I try to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would, but her bike is all black and she doesnt want the white fork on there lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    You could do that for under $100, but when you upgrade your fork just pass your current fork down the line, at least you're investing money into an upgrade..that's mostly what I try to do.
    I was thinking the same thing myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Did you go for the XC30? How is it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If a $5 investment into a can of Rustoleum would make your wife happy, that would be one of the cheapest investments you could make toward her happiness and yours...I can only dream...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I took her bike in Saturday to order the fork. The mechanic called me back a little bit later and set something inside the fork had broken on the Suntour so the preload wasnt working. They took one off another bike and put it on there and adjusted the preload. It feels much better than it did. Perhaps I can get her to spend a little more on a good fork since we dont "have" to buy one right now.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My giant revel came with a xc32 on it because the suntour was defective and did not pass inspection when the bike was being assembled. I am extremely happy with it considering my size and weight.
    It does compress quite a bit when I pedal while standing though.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the XC30 but the XC32 feels pretty stiff, it's not a flexy fork. The limitation is the poor TK damper. No matter what you dial into the fork it never feels totally planted. It does not pogo though and the lock-out works well. For road/light cross-country it's fine.

As far as XC30 vs XC32 there is one thing worth noting. Even if the forks are similar in performance the 32mm stanchions of the XC32 are a very common size. The upshot is that there are loads of other better dampers etc that will fit in a Tora/XC32, you can even fit other lowers on them. Just a thought.