MTBGremmie

Rock Shox Totem, Lyrik(?)-Color Coded Coil/Spring

Two questions really.

1) Apparently Rock Shox changed the color codes on its totem (and I think Lyrik) springs/coils.

Is there a way to determine whether a coil is from the old or new color coding? ie, i pulled a yellow coil from a used totem, is there a way to tell if it is firm (old) or soft (new coding)?

2) I've read a number of threads regarding preferred coils, and opinions varied from a number of riders going with a coil lower than the recommended body weight, as the recommended felt too firm, to one guy going with a coil of your body wt + gear + bike, which would place you at a firmer spring rate than the recommended body weight. The latter was unusual, but may have been due to the linear nature of the fork and blowing through it with little to no bottom out compression at the end of the stroke. These threads were all pretty dated though, any further opinions on coil preference relative to the Rock Shox recommended body weights? Riding style is primarily trails, occasional 4-5 ft drops to flat max. No 'Pinkbike' big air. Bike is old Speshi SX Trail.

Thanks!

RIP Friendgirl
    If you can measure the diameter of the wire of your coil i can get back to you on what my old yellow one for my Totem measures. Otherwise i have no idea how to tell the diff.

Don't think they changed the colors on the Lyrik springs, but i could be wrong.

As you have found, no one can tell you the best spring. It's all trial & error.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've ridden a Red/Med spring on my for years at 180-200lbs and have never had an issue of bottoming out. I switched to a Blue/Firm for a few weeks and felt it was to firm. Felt the same way about my Lyrik. Red/Medium felt plenty firm. Never bottomed it out even on 6-8' drops to transition. I'm riding at about 190lbs and just ordered a Red/Med Sektor u-turn to drop in my REV. I do think RS springs run firm to their weight chart. At a lighter spring you can always run a little more compression not the other way around.

Here's the 2013 RS chart but you've probably seen it.
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Eu...chart_2013.pdf

MTBGremmie
    thanks for the feedback guys.

i'd been riding on the older silver spring (soft) for about a yr. could eat up the travel as i'm not a finesse rider. was thinking of trying a medium. the guy i bought the fork from works at rock shox and kindly sent me a bunch of goodies with the fork, including an extra spring, which i guess he thought was medium, but it was yellow.

i'm recovering from surgery and haven't ridden for almost a year. loaned the bike to my buddy who weighs ~185 (i weigh ~170) w/o gear, so he went with the 'heavier' yellow spring, which he thought would be good for me too. i get the bike back this week, and hope to slowly get back to it. guess i'll just compare the old silver with the newer yellow as it's easy enough to swap them.

thanks too for the confirmation about the rock shox springs running a little firmer than their weight chart recommendations.