mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Rock Shox Tora SL or Recon SIlver TK

Hello all, im new here and this is my 2nd post (the first was in begginers corner :P) didn't knew there was shoks and susp. section so im re-posting.

I want to upgrade my stock fork with one of these: Tora SL 2010 or Recon Silver TK 2011. My LBS have them both, the Recon is 50$ more expensive than Tora, is it worth it? Somewhere i saw in review that this 2 forks are almost identical, is it true?

Plus i want to ask something else - is Suntour Epicon RLD 2011 (compare to the 2 models i mentioned) are on the same level or better?? I found Epicon on ebay, in same price range as Tora.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english!!

Former Bike Wrench
    Basically the same fork, so I'd just get the Tora between the two and spend the $50 on a Motion Control compression damper unit to make the Tora better than the Recon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Think the Recon has replaceable bushings, and Tora doesn't. Thats the biggest difference. Is little heavier, but the damping is the same.

IMO, Suntour is having more and more better forks (Durolux i.e.). Not sure about the Epicons damper since there is almost no inside pic (closed cartridge), but since Toras and Recons are pretty simple port orifice dampers, Epicon couldn't be worse. Here is someone who has ridden one:
    New budget fork review (Suntour Epicon RLD)

And also, not sure if the Epicon has replaceable bushings too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the quick replys!!

Another questions is: all 3 forks are: one leg air and the other one coil? Is that correct? So i guess i will need a fork pump to do the job. I think i will buy Tora and buy a fork pump.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser
    Thanks for the quick replys!!

Another questions is: all 3 forks are: one leg air and the other one coil? Is that correct? So i guess i will need a fork pump to do the job. I think i will buy Tora and buy a fork pump.
    There is no coil spring in the Recon or Tora...Solo Air has a positive and negative air spring in one leg and damper in the other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thank you mtnbiker72!! Im still noob and try to learn step by step Sorry to bother again: last question - u said if u would get the Tora u would upgrade it, u mean something like this: Motion Control upgrade kit

Former Bike Wrench
    That would work, though I prefer the standard Motion Control over the Pop-Loc as it is more adjustable (but lacks the remote).

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...6&category=705

Second from the bottom of the list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    if your in UK basser you going to have issues with getting a motion control kit, i also looking to upgrade my tora 302 SL(coil) with a Argyle moco unit which would work, but it a right pain trying to get them here in UK

The cost of upgrading to a MOCO unit is going to be in realistic terms 60+ which kinda anoying given USA its $50, but shipping from US a pain in the balls tbh and isnt worth while, so you stuck with the high Uk prices....

il let you know how my search goes with finding mine..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Im from Greece, if i was from UK my english wouldn't suck so much Thanks man, if u find anything just post here or pm me. I didn't decided yet wich one to get Tora or Epicon they at almost same money, from reviews they both great value for money. But if i get Tora, i will try it couple months and then will decide to upgrade or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i going to service my tora 302 SL and will post a DIY how a noob services fork here soon

Will show how good/bad the quality of the tora is and the lockout, i got a feeling it just a bit a plastic lol.

Hopefully that show you why you might need a proper motion control damper,

recons are mainly lighter than tora and have different springs, but not that different.

If you want to see differance go Reba fork, there are floating around for around 150 on the web, so something to consider