mtbr member

Rock Shox SID World Cup Replacement Internals

Hi Guys, I have a 2008 Rock Shox world cup fork and recently had it serviced. The guys at the shop told me it's on its last legs. The internals are all rusted, corroded and basically a need a new fork.

Does anyone here know where I could buy just replacement internals? I searched through the SRAM replacement parts catalogue but they break it down to the itty bitty parts and I wouldn't know which ones I need for a complete damper and air spring unit. I mean the only good parts on my fork are the lowers and the uppers. I can source the seal kit no probs. I am open to non SRAM internals too. For example I came across a thread once which indicated there were dampers built for forks by other tuner shops.

Many Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I just happen to stumble across an online retailer. Going to give them a try. Search for Bike Parts

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is this the first time it's been serviced since 2008?

I'd recommend dropping the lowers and taking a look inside it for yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Svard75 View Post
    I have a 2008 Rock Shox world cup fork and recently had it serviced. The guys at the shop told me it's on its last legs. The internals are all rusted, corroded and basically a need a new fork.
    Hold on a sec. Did they show you all these rusted parts? You do realize that almost everything in the fork is aluminum and the Motion Control damper unit is titanium (world cup - the new XX are plastic). The only real metal in these forks are the c-clips and spring-clips.

Have you serviced this fork before?
    Do you ride in rainy conditions?
    How do you wash/clean your bike?

mtbr member
    What RaveOn said.

mk

mtbr member

Rock Shox SID World Cup Replacement Internals

Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    Hold on a sec. Did they show you all these rusted parts? You do realize that almost everything in the fork is aluminum and the Motion Control damper unit is titanium (world cup - the new XX are plastic). The only real metal in these forks are the c-clips and spring-clips.

Have you serviced this fork before?

Do you ride in rainy conditions?

How do you wash/clean your bike?

I did not know this. The fork is serviced yearly but its just an oil change I believe.

Is there a service kit which would replace all the metal parts? I might have to try a different shop!

Is it possible that the damper and air spring units themselves could be worn down so much that they need replacing? I mean other than the o-rings.

I do ride in the rain. I wash it after using a standard garden hose (no pressure washer)

Sent using my retarded blackberry

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I don't buy the whole "rusted" story this bike shop is telling you. If I was a bike shop and saw a bunch of rust in a customers fork I would certainly take pictures because its a very rare thing. Still, I say B.S.

At this point I wouldn't worry about what parts you may or may not need, find a different bike shop for a 2nd opinion.

Aside from what they told you, does it feel smooth?

ps. If you feel like taking this on yourself
    SRAMtech - YouTube

mtbr member
    Thanks for all your replies. Ill have it checked out at a different shop. The fork feels okay. Im just worried it will suddenly loose air. Not good esp on a fast tech descent!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm with RaveOn with this. There's really only on thing in the fork which can "wear" out, and that's the stanchion. Anything else you might see wear on are seals, and all of those are easily replaceable.

Don't take it to another shop and just do it yourself. Working on a RS fork is really quite easy, and is something I'd highly recommend you learn how to do. There are an incredible amount of resources available to you in this regard.

Additionally, a RS fork needs to have it's bath oil changed every 50 hours of riding, and this is especially important in a SID which has very little bath oil to begin with. If you're riding a lot, yearly service simply isn't good enough, and you will end up with a worn and damaged fork. Additionally, the SID's 5ml of bath oil per leg is, in my opinion, inadequate and I highly recommend using at least 15ml of bath oil per leg.