mtbr member
    May 2013

Rock shox SID Team 2005, to service or not to service?

Hello,

This question is a follow up to one I asked in the Beginner's Corner
    Buy a new fork or full service for old one (update)

I recently purchased a secondhand bike, the bike is from 2005 but it looks pretty new, that is to say the most of stickers, prints etc are unscratched and not faded, no dents, hardly any marks what so ever. Even the original saddle looks pretty new only a very small tear is visible. In short the bike isn't used very much.

Price paid 375 euro
    Orbea Pop'r
    RockShox SID Team
    Shimano XTR (front and back derailleur)
    FSA afterburner crankset
    Shimano XT V-Breaks
    weight 11kg

When I just got the bike I noticed the fork was always locked out, regardless of the position of the control nob.
    joeinchi advised me to add/remove some air. I did this based on the tuning documentation from rockshox.

When removing the air from the negative chamber (there was almost none in the positive chamber) some yellow oil (rather thick) came out as well, it looked very clean, no dirt or sand came out of it.

After I put 110 psi on both sides ( I weight 183 lbs), sitting on the bike I get 20% travel. it made a bit of a squeaking noise (think old bed) but after pressuring the fork for a view times it was gone.

eb1888 advised me to ask in this forum if this is good enough or if I should service the fork. So basically that is my question :

Should I service the fork or is it okay as it is?

MTBR Member
    It doesn't sound like you have any glaring concerns, but you might as well go ahead with the service. A little oil spray when removing air is normal, though the oil should not be thick -- might be a good idea to get some fresh oil in there. The fork is easy to work on and you can find good service manuals on the RS website.

If you have excess oil on the stanchions, pooling up around the outer wiper seal, it's time for new seals. Might not hurt to grab those and replace while you're servicing the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    It doesn't sound like you have any glaring concerns, but you might as well go ahead with the service. A little oil spray when removing air is normal, though the oil should not be thick -- might be a good idea to get some fresh oil in there. The fork is easy to work on and you can find good service manuals on the RS website.

If you have excess oil on the stanchions, pooling up around the outer wiper seal, it's time for new seals. Might not hurt to grab those and replace while you're servicing the fork.

Thanks for the info