mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Rock Shox SID RLT Issue

I have a brand new Niner Jet 9 that the shop I bought it from put what appears to be a SID RLT on. It is dual air and from internet search that's the closest thing I can find to match it. It just doesn't say RLT on the crown.

Anyways, I mentioned to the shop that it looks like the tire is slightly close to the left leg. We didn't measure or anything and thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. So after 2-3 rides I cleaned the bike and rode it around the street to make sure all is still good. Well, under front braking it seems to pull left and the wheel is visibly twisting to the left. Is this normal and I'm just nuts or is this something that is wrong with either the brakes/wheel/fork? Running Avid BB7's right now and have Sun Ringle Blackflag wheelset.

I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow to have them check it out.

mtbr member
    Known issue with lower leg casting from a few years back. Shop should call it in to SRAM service (politely) and explain the dealio. Will likely end with new fork in your hot little hands.

Had the same thing happen to a buddy of mine.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well I'm kind of dumb...fork says RL right on the right leg...derp.

Anyways, I called the shop this morning, they didn't even ask to see it, they asked for the serial and are calling SRAM/Rock Shox right now. We'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had this happen with my SID as well. Rock Shox then sent me a new fork and those were off as well.

To make sure it's the lowers and not the wheel, flip the wheel in the fork. If it's off the same amount in the other direction then it's the wheel. If it's off the same amount in the same direction, then it's the fork.

mtbr member
    I was wondering what was wrong with my older Revelation. Same thing. For the life of me I can't get it to center. Too old for a recall though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That was actually be big reasons I dropped Rock Shox again and have been running all Fox ever since.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just an update, SRAM made the shop look at the fork and wheels first so I dropped it off after my afternoon ride, shop said that SRAM may want the fork to inspect it once they confirm the wheels are fine etc Good thing is the shop owner is just going to give me a SID off his personal bike so I can still ride. One of the reasons I only go to this one shop now.

mtbr member
    They denied my buddy the first time the shop called it in. As I said, it's a known issue but SRAM denied it at first but have come around a bit.

When I say they 'denied' it, I simply mean they probably considered it 'within spec' based on what they expected but it's not ok from a consumer perspective. Who knows how they figured that out internally.

The good news is that they'll probably take care of you.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So SRAM asked for the fork back and the shop owner was like "We've got a race in FL this coming weekend and he needs to be training for that" (SERC race #1 at Santos, FL) So, they are sending the lower leg castings and the shop will swap it out for me. I'm not planning on racing that series but was going to do the first race since it's in my backyard. It was convenient. The good news is if this works out I get to have my first "oil bath" for the fork without having to do it myself or pay for it

I'm only updating this often in case someone else has this problem. I tried googling this and I very few results and no end of the road ''this is what happened" results.