This year I have ridden two brand new Rock Shox forks that have changed my opinion about the quality of their products. The last fork I have owned is a '06 Marzocchi MX comp (Italian made) that has served me flawlessly during 8 years and over 22.000 km. Defects found:
Rock Shox Revelation 2014 RL 150mm.
- The steer tube has a wider area just before where the crown race seats, so installing a regular uncut crown race turns into a nightmare (it is hard to go over this point but then the crown seats nicely in place).
- The crown/stanchion or the crown/steerer creaks under braking from day one. Extremely annoying.
- The fork has no small bump sensitivity, there is a lot of friction. Honestly, the fork felt quite worse than some low end Suntour forks I tried in the past, even after 3 months of thorough "break in". The friction is so bad the stanchions felt hot after going down a stair section of less than 20 steps.
- The rebound is too slow even wide open. I have tried other RS forks and wide open the fork felt undampened, while my fork feels overdampened for my weight (75 kg- 165 lbs) even wide open.
Rock Shox Sektor RL Dual Position Coil 150-120mm 2014
- This fork is immensely plusher than the Revelation, night and day difference here. The rebound has a greater range of settings and small bump sensitivity is great.
- The bushings on the right leg have play from day one. If you perform the procedure detalied in Rock Shox manuals to check for "Bushing wear", you can definitely feel it loose. When I bounce the bike over the rear wheel I can hear/feel a knock sound. The funny thing is that if I lower the travel to 120mm the play is gone. Apparently some people say this is normal at full extension and it dissappears under sag, so the fork is fine. Absolutely lame.
The highighted issues are clearly due to poor quality control, doesn't sound acceptable on products that cost over 500$ and may take a few weeks and money from my pocket (postages,...) to get it sorted under warranty.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »