Spanish rider

No good Rock Shox Rev/Sektor - Poor quality

Hello guys,

This year I have ridden two brand new Rock Shox forks that have changed my opinion about the quality of their products. The last fork I have owned is a '06 Marzocchi MX comp (Italian made) that has served me flawlessly during 8 years and over 22.000 km. Defects found:

Rock Shox Revelation 2014 RL 150mm.
    - The steer tube has a wider area just before where the crown race seats, so installing a regular uncut crown race turns into a nightmare (it is hard to go over this point but then the crown seats nicely in place).
    - The crown/stanchion or the crown/steerer creaks under braking from day one. Extremely annoying.
    - The fork has no small bump sensitivity, there is a lot of friction. Honestly, the fork felt quite worse than some low end Suntour forks I tried in the past, even after 3 months of thorough "break in". The friction is so bad the stanchions felt hot after going down a stair section of less than 20 steps.
    - The rebound is too slow even wide open. I have tried other RS forks and wide open the fork felt undampened, while my fork feels overdampened for my weight (75 kg- 165 lbs) even wide open.

Rock Shox Sektor RL Dual Position Coil 150-120mm 2014

- This fork is immensely plusher than the Revelation, night and day difference here. The rebound has a greater range of settings and small bump sensitivity is great.
    - The bushings on the right leg have play from day one. If you perform the procedure detalied in Rock Shox manuals to check for "Bushing wear", you can definitely feel it loose. When I bounce the bike over the rear wheel I can hear/feel a knock sound. The funny thing is that if I lower the travel to 120mm the play is gone. Apparently some people say this is normal at full extension and it dissappears under sag, so the fork is fine. Absolutely lame.

The highighted issues are clearly due to poor quality control, doesn't sound acceptable on products that cost over 500$ and may take a few weeks and money from my pocket (postages,...) to get it sorted under warranty.

Quite dissapointed...
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pableras View Post

Rock Shox Revelation 2014 RL 150mm.
    - [B]The steer tube has a wider area just before where the crown race seats, so installing a regular uncut crown race turns into a nightmare
    I don't think that's a fault, I think that's deliberate. Why, I don't know but it seems to be a common feature on RS forks now.

I'm not disagreeing with you overall. Frankly, I don't know but it certainly doesn't seem to me that the quality control is getting better, I'll say that. One thing that I've noticed is the paint. I've bought three RS forks in the past couple of years and mechanically they've all been fine to be honest but I am disappointed with the paint.

Or rather the pre-paint. That have not smoothed off the casting properly leaving sharp edges. When you paint onto that the paint runs away from the edge and from experience there's a very good chance the paint will start to lift off from that edge. You see it on other products too, car wheels are a common instance. So the fork is going to start corroding and flaking earlier than it would if it were painted better.

I still think RS offer good products but yes, I can see where you are coming from.

Spanish rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I don't think that's a fault, I think that's deliberate. Why, I don't know but it seems to be a common feature on RS forks now.

I'm not disagreeing with you overall. Frankly, I don't know but it certainly doesn't seem to me that the quality control is getting better, I'll say that. One thing that I've noticed is the paint. I've bought three RS forks in the past couple of years and mechanically they've all been fine to be honest but I am disappointed with the paint.

Or rather the pre-paint. That have not smoothed off the casting properly leaving sharp edges. When you paint onto that the paint runs away from the edge and from experience there's a very good chance the paint will start to lift off from that edge. You see it on other products too, car wheels are a common instance. So the fork is going to start corroding and flaking earlier than it would if it were painted better.

I still think RS offer good products but yes, I can see where you are coming from.
    I come from a fork that served me well for 8 years since it got out of the box

Well, the paintjob is something I don't pay a lot of attention, we ride on the mountain and chips/scratches are expected. However, I have to admit that my Revelation has a noticeable paint bubble arround the seals.

Maybe I just had bad luck...
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pableras View Post
    I have to admit that my Revelation has a noticeable paint bubble around the seals.
    Once the paint gets chipped and water gets under it you get corrosion of the metal and blisters like that. Once they start there is no stopping it. The corrosion will spread and the fork ends up a total mess.

You can't really avoid the fork getting chipped if you ride it off road but it would be nice if the paint layer was unbroken to begin with ;0)