mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Rock Shox Recon Silver Vs Suntour Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk/White 29

I am thinking of upgrading my Suntour XCR fork. I don't want to buy used and want to keep the price under $300.

The Rock Shox Recon Silver TK will be $215 which includes shock pump and shipping.

The Suntour Raidon would be about $230 ($189 + $12 for shipping + $20-30 for shock pump which I do not believe Suntour includes).

Which one of these shocks are better (quality, features, weight, warranty, maintenance, customer service, etc)?

Do I need a shock pump or can I use my Jo Blow bike pump?
    Last edited by joepa150; 07-24-2013 at 02:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone????

I have searched and searched and haven't found any substantial information comparing these two.

I guess I am just really interested in know if they are pretty much comparable models just from different manufacturers or is one a step above the other??

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would like to know this as well.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just picked up a trek 3700 and hated the oem sr suntours. I was curious on the raidons too so bit the bullet and ordered them. Install was easy as usual and had my first ride yesterday. They were night and day better than the oem forks. I'm a 195lb rider and the air fork is great for unlimited easy adjustment. For the sub $200 price point they are a great buy. I am an all mountain xc rider,

GO FOR IT!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I should mention I got the sr suntour raidon lod air without the remote lockout. The lockout is manual mounted on the crown.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I actually found the Rockshox Recon Silver TX for about the same price as the Raidon.

I just can't decide which is the better fork.

Anyone know or have experience with both??

What?
    Get the Recon for ease of service and parts availability alone. If you can can up your budget slightly, a Manitou Match would blow them both away performance wise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Get the Recon for ease of service and parts availability alone. If you can can up your budget slightly, a Manitou Match would blow them both away performance wise.
    I don't think Manitou makes a match for 29ers. I found a Manitou Tower Expert for 29ers BUT I cant find many comments or reviews on it for $299.

I am debating on getting the Manitou Tower Expert but how does it compare to the Suntour Raidon or Rock Shox Recon Silver?

Will it blow them out of the water?
    If so, why?

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I don't think Manitou makes a match for 29ers. I found a Manitou Tower Expert for 29ers BUT I cant find many comments or reviews on it for $299.

I am debating on getting the Manitou Tower Expert but how does it compare to the Suntour Raidon or Rock Shox Recon Silver?

Will it blow them out of the water?
    If so, why?
    Sorry, didnt know you were looking for a 29'r.

Tower expert is a very good fork. You can look up reviews for the Minute Experts as well(same fork but for 26'' wheels).

The reason it is a better fork is because of the damper and seals. Manitou uses a shim based compression and rebound damper. This is something that is found only on high end forks. Manitou is currently the only company that offers this at a sub $500 price. (shimmed dampers are also fully user tunable to give you any feel you want) They also use some of the best fork seals in the industry, keeping your oil clean and your fork running smooth for a long time. When you compare this to the very basic dampers in the Recon and Raidon, its on a different level.

My opinion is that if you bike comes with a Raidon, its fine to keep until it dies. But its not worth upgrading too. So if you're on a budget, go with the Recon. Its a better fork that will be much easier to get parts for if you ever have a problem. If you are willing to spend the money on the Manitou, it will be a noticeable increase in performance over the Recon . If not, its understandable and the Recon would be as good as you can get for your budget.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Sorry, didnt know you were looking for a 29'r.

Tower expert is a very good fork. You can look up reviews for the Minute Experts as well(same fork but for 26'' wheels).

The reason it is a better fork is because of the damper and seals. Manitou uses a shim based compression and rebound damper. This is something that is found only on high end forks. Manitou is currently the only company that offers this at a sub $500 price. (shimmed dampers are also fully user tunable to give you any feel you want) They also use some of the best fork seals in the industry, keeping your oil clean and your fork running smooth for a long time. When you compare this to the very basic dampers in the Recon and Raidon, its on a different level.

My opinion is that if you bike comes with a Raidon, its fine to keep until it dies. But its not worth upgrading too. So if you're on a budget, go with the Recon. Its a better fork that will be much easier to get parts for if you ever have a problem. If you are willing to spend the money on the Manitou, it will be a noticeable increase in performance over the Recon . If not, its understandable and the Recon would be as good as you can get for your budget.

Thank you soo much for the information. I will have to decide how much I want to spend but it will be between the Recon and the Manitou. Thanks