mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Solo air 2013 any good?

I'm looking for a new xc/trail fork since my old suntour is more like a rigid fork not suspension. This fork looks good and is quite cheap for 260 with fork pump and remote lockout. Is it a good deal? Should I look for a lighter fork? All the forks which are lighter are 320 and more without fork pump. Other choices are a '11 X-Fusion Velvet with 100mm travel for 320 or '13 RS Reba for 350 and a '12 Manitou Minute Expert for ~288, but I can't find a store to get it, the price is just MSRP from the distributor. The last choice is a '13 RS XC32 coil fork.
    Which should I go for?

mtbr member
    I would still find and invest on Manitou Minute Expert or X-fusion Velvet as both have a lot better damping and I think that slightly higher price is more than justified (cosidering the performance difference). Recon Silver TK and XC32 are the worst forks that you have mentioned.

mtbr member
    The recon has a pretty crappy damper on both sides, compression and rebound. Its a solid, well made and reliable fork, but the dampers are really sub par. Luckily they can be easily upgraded to the better BB dampers, but thats more money.

Manitous stuff is much better out of the box, and still better even if you upgraded the dampers. Lighter too. Its really one of the best forks on the market.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Solo air 2013 any good?

I only have experience with my stock suntour fork and the Recon Gold tk I just upgraded to. I got a good deal on the Recon and so far, I am absolutely loving it. Plus, it's easily upgradeable down the line if need be (according to the guy at the shop) but i don't see that happening anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the answers! I'm leaning toward the Minute Expert, but the distributor haven't answered yet. The Velvet look awesome too. Even the Recon would be a huge uprgade after my suntour which is heavy as hell and moves 40mm on hard hits. Now I found a deal on a '12 Manitou R7 Pro for 280, but I have to order it from abroad.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Solo air 2013 any good?

The Recon Gold was from Cross Lake Sales and it was $262 with shipping. It weighed in at 1728 grams before I cut 3" off the stem for installation, so I'm guessing it's now around 1700 grams... Which is about 2.2 lbs lighter than the stock suntour fork. Plus the ride is SO much better. It was a great deal, but scope out the Suntour upgrade program if you don't care too much about the weight savings. Obviously the Towers are great forks and the Reba is the best reviewed. If you have the cash, get a Reba, but if you want some weight savings on a budget, check out the Recon Gold.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Now I see everywhere that the Minute's ACT Air system is more like just some help to set it, but it's basically a coil fork. And many wrote about coil spring change so it moves better than in stock state.. Is all air fork like that? What about the '12 Velvet? Appearently I need to clear up some thing in my head...
    Last edited by trailrider24; 03-13-2013 at 08:04 AM.