mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Rock Shox Recon to Drop off 3

My buddy has a rock shox recon, and after riding my fork (marz z1 150mm) he liked the more stiff and beafy feel. He rides a 2007 trek fuel 7 or 8.

He found a Drop Off 3 for a great price, 130mm of travel just like the recon, but coil instead of air. I know it is going to be heavier, but will he be able to tell a difference? Will the Marz be stiffer (it is non-thru axle), and I am assuming more linear since it is coil?

Would you trade the recon for the drop off if you were into a more AM riding style? Would any of this matter at all?

Post your pro-s and con-s, because frankly I don't know what to tell him.
    Stop....Heckler time.

Is dang happy!
    He could try a exrta firm spring in the Recon if it is a coil fork.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

he should test ride the AM3

Since they're teh same travel, it's really an issue of coil vs. air. Ideally he should test ride the new fork before he buys it. If he can't, he should test ride a different but nice coil fork that's similar to the AM3 and see if the coil feel is worth the extra lbs and $. I just got a 2007 fuel EX7 and I'm having trouble getting use out of the full travel of the fork without the first half being really soft. I wonder, is that the issue he has with the fork?