A Man Of The Truth

New question here. Rock Shox Recon 351 Hydrolock

So my gf and I went to go for a bike ride in the woods. Right as we're about to leave, I had her bike and noticed the fork was locked out. So I hit the lockout release but it was already released. Locking it and unlocking it made no difference at all. So long story short, the fork seems to be hydrolocked. It gets about 1 inch of travel that ends very abruptly. We've both been trying to google up as many details as we can on this. We don't know the year of the fork. But after some googling, some consensus is that a single O ring leaks. I've also read that SRAM can say the whole dampener is bad.

I've had very mixed results rebuilding forks. But since I talked her into this bike, I'm kind of obligated to try to fix it for her. But I don't want to take it off and just be stuck. (but luckily it's not a manitou, so I'm already off to a much better start than I've been in the past).

So any input on this problem, what specifically is the problem, what can cause it, are there behaviors that can accelerate this condition, behaviors that can prevent it (flipping the bike upside down to keep O rings oiled up, when the bike isn't in use for a while?)

And most useful of all, how-to videos for the actual disassembly and reassembly.

When it comes to forks, everyone that's rebuilt any particular fork says it's very easy to do. But I know from experience, it's only easy AFTER you've done it. It's not easy at all the first time around.

mtbr member
    The rebound head O-ring needs to be replaced. It's a 12mm * 3.5mm O ring. The O ring should be replaced every time the damper oil is changed (ie during a routine service). Servicing the fork occasionally and changing the O-ring seems to prevent the hydrolock issue from occuring. Most mechanics don't swap out the O-ring during a routine service, just to make things more complicated.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.