mtbr member

Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings

My Reba Race crapped out on me a couple weeks ago and I needed a rebuild kit. SRAM makes things incredibly complicated for me to search for part #'s and order parts to fix this fork. I wanted to replace the oil and all of the o-rings on the fork assembly. (I'll leave the wiper seals as is for now.) I searched online and couldn't find anything definitive about my particular fork, maybe because it's old...maybe because I'm stupid. Either way, I ordered the wrong kit to rebuild my fork and had to go to the hardware store to hand pick an o-ring kit for my Reba. (By the way, I've never rebuilt a fork before...so I didn't know what I was getting in to.)

I've attached pics of the o-rings that I replaced along with the sizes. I'm posting them mainly for me so I can rebuild them again when needed with a short visit to my hardware store.

I know a lot of you have problems with the o-ring under the floodgate (or gate) knob on this fork. I actually found an o-ring that is slightly beefier and tucks into that space much tighter than the original o-ring. I think the original o-ring is a standard size 004 or 005 (I can't remember.) The beefier, better sealing o-ring is a METRIC size M203. Try it the next time your GATE is leaking a little oil.

NOTE: All of the other o-rings are STANDARD size numbering.

mtbr member
    Here are the pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-positive_air_side_cap.jpg  

Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-dual_air_slider.jpg  

Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-rebound_control.jpg  

Last edited by superdylan; 03-15-2012 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Oops, forgot the Motion Control part...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-motion_control.jpg  

mtbr member
    My 2006 Reba Race has poploc, motion control and is dual air, in case that helps anyone. And I have the 15mm spacer to reduce the travel to 100mm as seen in the 2nd picture up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by superdylan; 03-15-2012 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    That is awesome timing!

I just took apart an 08 Reba SL that I just bought, and did the hardware store shopping too

I found out after I went to the store that these like to leak out of the damper too. If I could only get the expansion pin out of the damper (towards the top of the damper that attaches the steel shaft to the gray plastic shaft that gets turned buy the compression knob), I would think there would be an o-ring inside of it?

Or maybe the newer dampers have an o-ring inside here to reduce leakage???

Great pictures!
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Beecrazy, thanks for the response. I don't like the fact that Rockshox doesn't have these sizes on their website or technical documentation so that people can rebuild forks themselves. I think it would help their sales tremendously.

I'm not sure about the o-ring that you're talking about. There may be one in there, but since it was my first time taking apart the fork, I didn't want to dive too deep into the internals. (I had a fear that I would open something up and a thousand parts would fly all over my living room...) But, next time, I will probably take a look. Maybe someone else can chime in on this too.

Good luck with the rebuild! It wasn't as difficult as I thought!

mtbr member
    Superdylan

Yeah these things are pretty simple (although mine isn't back together and functioning yet!)

Can you take a picture of the top of your damper assembly, mine is missing the cap at the top? My damper is red like yours but my fork is an SL model, not sure what is suppose to be going on here?? ( I posted a pic of mine in another Reba thread in this forum)

We will see how brave I am, I may try to get the roll pin out of the damper to see if I can take it apart- although it may get me into trouble!

Don

mtbr member
    So, I went to the garage to have a look at my compression knob again. I took pics of everything. I removed the circlip and took off all the things that I could. (It's in the first picture below.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-compression_knob_parts.jpg  

Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-compression_knob_top_view.jpg  

Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-compression_knob_side_view.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow! You are Awesome!

Quite the pics with text!

Thank you so much!

I had no white washer looking thing under blue compression knob. Just a snap ring holding it on with a o-ring under it.

I noticed you damper has what looks like a spring located in the middle of it through the slots- mine does not have that-internal flood gate on mine?????

Great info posting

mtbr member
    When I put it all back together again, I decided to install the following things in the following order: Standard o-ring 114, blue compression dial, circlip, gate knob.

I took out that silly white plastic washer (its in the very first pic at the top) and put a 114 o-ring there instead. I'm hoping the circlip and compression dial will put enough pressure on the o-ring to keep it from leaking. If not, I'll go to a larger diameter o-ring. But, for now I just want to see what happens. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock Shox Reba Race 2006 Rebuild O-Rings-under_compression_dial.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beecrazy View Post
    Wow! You are Awesome!

I noticed you damper has what looks like a spring located in the middle of it through the slots- mine does not have that-internal flood gate on mine?????
    That spring is the poploc return spring. I've got a handlebar mounted poploc remote with compression dial on my bike...it's so you can adjust it from the handlebar while riding.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you found my post useful!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This tread is great! I hope it's a while before my 2006 Reba Reba Race needs this level of service but it will be good to have this info when I do. Wish more would post like this.

jeb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good job!:d

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I tried to pick up these rings at two different stores. Neither had o-rings under that numbering system.

Thanks for the detailed post though.

mtbr member
    These are the standard and metric o-ring numbers. If you need to change them to an inch or millimeter value, then google the numbers I posted above and you will find a conversion chart. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    As a side note, ebikestop.com has the rebuild kits for older Rebas and other forks. I just did mine over xmas. They do not make it easy, since most stores do not list the RS part number.
    Just Ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey guys! Which hardware store do you guys usually go for shopping o-rings?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi.

I'm from Europe. Does anyone knows the size (iner diameter and cross section) of the inner seal head o-ring (rebound side) of a Domain fork? (the equivalent of the 206 of the below pic:

)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nevermind, I already found the anwser here;
    O-Ring Sizes for RS Revelation, Reba, Pike Inside

It's a metric o-ring 12x3.5mm, and it works also for domains.

Thanks anyway

V1A
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by superdylan View Post
    I think the original o-ring is a standard size 004 or 005 (I can't remember.) The beefier, better sealing o-ring is a METRIC size M203.
    I'm having trouble finding a conversion for the M203 size, or figuring out it's metric cross section/width and I.D.

Can you please clarify? Thanks!

mtbr member
    ]I found this thread and decided to get some new orings for my Reba Race 2008. The Ace hardware store i visited did NOT have the orings listed with the numbers you provided in any way. So i sat there for a half hour with my smart phone figuring it out. I could be wrong but here are the Danco codes for the orings you suggested:
    m203- 31
    120- 20
    118- 17
    120- 20
    211- 16
    204- 48
    211- 16
    118- 17
    206- 92

I don't think all of these will be needed at all for my fork but they were 60 cents each. I spent a little over five bucks.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-30-2012 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Get the correct o-rings, no conversion necessary

There's no reason to try to convert the metric sizes to something that you might be able to find at Ace Hardware. Like most metric conversions, there's not always an exact non-metric equivalent. Getting exactly the right o-rings is really important for something that needs to hold air and oil in their proper places - like a fork. You are asking for trouble by trying to approximate metric o-rings to something that your local Ace might have on hand.

Getting the correct o-rings is easy and cheaper than Ace. Go to the other MTBR thread mentioned here (O-Ring Sizes for RS Revelation, Reba, Pike Inside) for info on which rings you need, then go to the O-Ring Store (theoringstore.com) and order the correct parts.