mtbkr
    May 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! rock shox pearl 2.1

i cant get the pressure right. i'm 80kgs (176lbs). at what pressure should i ride on? freeride.
    help the noob!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Throw the shock in the bin and order a ROCO

mtbkr
    May 2007
    i spent all my money on my first fully. it has a 2.1 pearl. so until i recover i must ride wit what i have. so...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    set the air pressure according to sag

25 to 30 % sag

measure the shock stroke or eye-to-eye length

what feels bad about it that you feel cannot get pressure right ?~?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Best place to start is setting sag....

there's no firm answer on what pressure to use for your weight. Every bike and suspension design is different and may require different pressure settings for the given design, rider weight, and riding style. So start with setting the sag. The starting point should be 20 to 25% of the shocks total stroke. So if your have a 50mm stroke, sag should be set 10 and 12.5mm when you are seated on the bike in the riding position. Some prefer setting the sag in the attack position for freeride or downhill, i.e. standing, leaning slightly forward, with arms and knees slightly bent. This can be difficult and usually requires an assistant but is doeable. Start with a pressure that is about 50% of your body weight, get on the bike to settle the shock. Then carefully get off and measure from the wiper seal to the rubber o-ring. Once you have the sag set correctly, go ride, and take the pump along in the camel back or whatever. If the shock is too soft add 5psi and try again, to stiff drop 5psi and repeat. It'll take some time and fiddling with air pressure, but eventually you'll find the sweet spot. Just keep track of the adjustments that you make. But do keep in mind that the Pearl 2.1 is a very basic shock with limited adjustability, air pressure and rebound and that's it. So you may not be able to get it perfect for your set up and the way you ride. With no bottom out adjustment, or compression damping it my be tough to get it spot on. It's a basic shock that does what it was designed to do pretty well, but the limited adjustment options make it less versitile. So you may end up with it a bit stiff to prevent bottoming or some other compromise in performance to make it work for you. Just don't expect too much from it. As you noted it will have to do for now.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbkr
    May 2007
    wow, Squash extensive. thanks. it didn't bottom yet. but its either too soft or i feel a rampaging bull ramming my ass . its a cannondale prophet 4. only thing i changed so far r pedals and rear bike rack 4 my car so i could actually do sum mountain. in front theres rock shox tora 318. and it kicks ass.
    i hope i find the sweet spot before i get hemeroids

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aPunk
    wow, Squash extensive. thanks. it didn't bottom yet. but its either too soft or i feel a rampaging bull ramming my ass . its a cannondale prophet 4. only thing i changed so far r pedals and rear bike rack 4 my car so i could actually do sum mountain. in front theres rock shox tora 318. and it kicks ass.
    i hope i find the sweet spot before i get hemeroids
    What are you defining as "too soft"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    wow, Squash extensive. thanks. it didn't bottom yet. but its either too soft or i feel a rampaging bull ramming my ass ....
    is rebound too fast ?~?

mtbkr
    May 2007
    too soft, it almost bottoms on bumps.
    rebound can be adjusted.
    i have a prophets card containing tables of weights and pressures for, "swinger 3", "float r", and "radium r" rear shox. so ill try to use em on pearl...
    i thought big air means a hard fart

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    too soft, it almost bottoms on bumps.
    rebound can be adjusted.
    i have a prophets card containing tables of weights and pressures for, "swinger 3", "float r", and "radium r" rear shox. so ill try to use em on pearl...
    you need to add air.... generally shocks should not bottom unless you are on at least a 2 to 3 foot drop

go and see the Cannondale Forum here on mtbr and ask or search their posts

mtbr member
    I had a Pearl 3.1 before. Don't be surprised that the pressure seems low with the right sag. I remember it runs very low comparing to other shocks.

Edit-----------
    I found the thread.
    RS MC3.1 v MC3.3
    I was running like 80psi being 70kg in body weight.
    Full filled with 6.6 then migrating to Slope Style for more. "Intense Slope Style Central"

mtbkr
    May 2007
    rebound + or -. i found that bout 108 psi (7.5 bar) is pressure i need for my riding.
    i just came back from a long uphill and downhill ride. and pearl acted perfectly. long jumps while descending on a 30 min ride were absorbed so nicely, i can still feel adrenalin pumping down my bloodstream... bout tora only words of praise.

mtbkr
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBikeGuy
    I had a Pearl 3.1 before. Don't be surprised that the pressure seems low with the right sag. I remember it runs very low comparing to other shocks.

Edit-----------
    I found the thread.
    RS MC3.1 v MC3.3
    I was running like 80psi being 70kg in body weight.
    that seems right. as i wrote im running 108psi being 80kgs freeriding.

EastBaySteez
    I have a 3.1 Pearl. I love it. its my FR/DH shox for my 7point. I have had trouble setting up the air pressure. But once I get it in the grove its freeking sick. Just take your shox pump with you on rides fiddle with it until you find it. When I was running 20+% sag I was botteming out alot more than I should. Now that Its to 10-15% its much better.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6