mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rock shox MC 3.1

Just picked up a 2007 trek ex 6. It has the MC 3.1, anyone have any experience with this shock? The gold waste control knob doesnt seem to do anything, i can back it full out and it just seems as if it is acting as a nut. There doesnt seem to be anychange in suspension with it all the way in or back completely off. Am i missing something?

What could go wrong ...
    I have an 2007 Voodoo Canzo 26 that came with the MC 3.3 shock on it and that is the floodgate control .. it is used to dial in how much impact the shock will take before it moves ... so you wont feel much difference when you are just sitting on the bike, it really comes into effect when you are rolling and hit a log or rock ...
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

TNC
    noMAD man

Compression lockout?

Don't claim any authority on this, but don't you have to have some of the compression lockout dialed in for that to work? I'm too lazy to go over to the RS site, where I'm sure it will describe when and how the gate operates. Yeah, I have an RS Revelation and just recently started playing with this MC3.1 rear shock on an '06 Trek Fuel EX 9.5. I never use lockouts and such, so that's why I'm not up on its features. But I think it only functions when you have the compression lockout partially or fully engaged...perhaps? The MC3.1 on this Fuel has a lockout that requires a handlebar lever. The lockout/compression knob is spring loaded to stay in the heaviest compression position, so the lever is required to keep the compression knob in the open position for the shock to cycle. It doesn't appear that your MC3.1 has this knob. All the gate valve does is control when the lockout/compression "blows off" by how you have the dial set...from just about full lockout to just more aggressive compression. The lockout/compression knob works in concert with the gate valve to achieve this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    got it, i was missing the clip that goes on after that brass not fits over the shaft. Without the clip, the adjusments were doing nothing at all. Thanks!