mtbr member
    May 2013

Rock Shox Lyric U-Turn Coil will not return to full decompression

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.

Bought a Lyrik U-turn coil recently and noticed when turned to 160mm of spring and compressed, the shock will not return to 160 without being pulled/coaxed back. Hard to describe but, basically, the fork feels great, but when pushed down will only come back to 145mm or so, and then needs to be pulled out by hand to come back to 160.

What could be causing this? Do I need more oil? Is there a modification an LBS did before I bought this that is common to keep it from returning to 160 (bought the fork used)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There is a plastic piece that screws (intertwines) to into the bottom of the coil that is used to adjust the height. Take the coil out and unscrew it to the end of the coil and put it back in. I had this happen on an old Psylo that I had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by demundus View Post
    Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.

Bought a Lyrik U-turn coil recently and noticed when turned to 160mm of spring and compressed, the shock will not return to 160 without being pulled/coaxed back. Hard to describe but, basically, the fork feels great, but when pushed down will only come back to 145mm or so, and then needs to be pulled out by hand to come back to 160.

What could be causing this? Do I need more oil? Is there a modification an LBS did before I bought this that is common to keep it from returning to 160 (bought the fork used)?

Thanks!
    There is a part @ the base of the spring called a "spring base" another word for top out spring. Could be damaged ??? To properly check this component you would drop the lowers and make sure the exposed spring rod doesn't have play. Further inspection can be done by removing the spring base w/ snap ring pliers for a visual. It should preload the spring about 10mm. If the fork is new its a good idea to check / change the semi-bath oil.

aka dan51
    When you pull it out to 160 does it stay there when you let go, or does it compress again?
    What stiffness is the spring?
    I wonder if there is enough stiction on the wipers, seals, bushings to keep it from going all the way out. If that's the case, try lubing the stanchions with an oily rag (preferably fork oil or Mobile 1) and cycle the fork a few times. If it's tight from the bushings that will clear up in time as it gets used.

I've had several uturn Lyriks with varying springs in them, and none of them came back to the same spot (160mm), but I was never short 15mm. I could see 5mm being an acceptable amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the responses guys!

1.) I took the coil off, and it was not "extended" as offcamber had said. I extended it, but the issue is still there.

2.) Dropped the lowers and checked the spring base. It appears to be ok as well.

I believe the stiffness is a red (bought it used), but the coil has some red "paint" or markings on the coil. There's definitely enough lube on the stantions, especially after I dropped the lowers, I had a chance to relube the entire thing.

Quick story about dropping the lowers, and then a question about the coil.

I dropped the lowers and then reassembled the fork, before I was done I added some fork oil just for the hell of it. The fork was nearly impossible to compress, but STILL wouldnt come back to 160 naturally. I removed the excess oil.

Could the coil be just... worn down? And whats this "negative force" ive read about, could this be the problem?