mtbr member

Rock Shox Judy C Rebuild - Now clicks when compressed?

I just finished my first fork rebuild. It is a 1999 Rock Shox Judy C Hydracoil 'long travel'. I took it completely down and wiped down parts, replaced the seals, reassembled and filled with 115cc fluid in each leg.

Now, when I compress it I hear a single 'click'. It sounds like the same click as a retractable pen.

It doesn't matter if I compress it slowly or fast. Same click at the same level of compression.

The only thing I can think of is maybe one of the springs isn't seated properly and it's seating (and making the click) each time it's compressed?

Any ideas what I should be looking for when I open it up again to try and solve this mystery?

Thanks!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Former Bike Wrench
    Grease the snot out of the springs, it's them hitting the inside of the stanchions

mtbr member
    Huh, I certainly wouldn't have thought of that... Thank you.

Can I use the same grease I use for packing bearings?

I guess it doesn't bother the fork fluid to have a heavy-greased spring swimming in there? Now that I think about it, the springs are probably above the fluid level?

I'll take off the top cap and pull them out with a bent wire hangar or something. I really don't feel like dumping and refilling those legs again.

Former Bike Wrench
    yep, the thicker the better (so it clings to the springs). Don't be bashful, use lots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    yep, the thicker the better (so it clings to the springs). Don't be bashful, use lots.
    That worked perfectly! It's as quiet as a mouse.

You've given me great advice multiple times now and I've also used some of the advice you've given to others in different threads. Your responses really are a great help to those of us new to bike mechanics and I wanted to let you know it's appreciated. Thank you!

This fork is going on a low-cost XC bike I'm putting together to try and entice a friend of mine into mountain biking. One last "hurrah" for a dedicated piece of equipment.

The guys at enduroforkseals said I could leave off the boots with the new seals. It really does change the appearance. Looks much nicer...

Name:  P1010875.JPG
Views: 1594
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  P1010876.JPG
Views: 1768
Size:  25.2 KB

Rock Shox Judy C Rebuild - Now clicks when compressed?-p1010877.jpg

Former Bike Wrench
    No problem...I scored a 2001 Judy SL for my wife's bike a few years back for a set of tires I never liked anyway. A fresh paint job, new seals, and new oil and it runs smooth. Made the same clicking noise, greased the springs and no noise. A nice upgrade over her OEM boy band fork (Insync).