Rock Shox Dart 3 29er questions.
1) Can the travel of a 100mm Rock Shox Dart 3 29er be reduced down to 80mm? Does the coil spring assembly have spacers that can be rearranged to change the travel?
2) Does a HD 26er Dart 3 26er coil spring fit a 29er Dart 3?
3) Lastly, will a HD spring kit hold up a 200 pound rider without sagging more than 25% of the 80mm of total travel?
1) It would seem so but having never tore one down I'm not sure and I don't see anything in their sparse manual
2) Yes, same uppers for the 26" and 29" version, the lowers and the thru shafts are simply longer on the 29er version
3) It should with minimal pre-load
I just down loaded RockShox’s spare parts catalog, which has an exploded view of the Dart2/3 fork with each part labeled. According to the drawing, both the 26er and the 29er forks use the same spring/spacer kits. The 26er and 29er forks have different lower Spring Shaft Kits, which is listed as “(80mm, 100mm)”. Both the Spring Spacer Kit and the Spring Shaft Kit make up the internals of the left leg. Does anybody know where to add a 20mm spacer to this left leg assembly to change a 100mm fork into an 80mm fork? See the attached drawing for parts that make up the Dart’s left leg on page 7.
[IMG]c:\bike manuals\exploded view copy[/IMG]
Where you able to figure out this mod? I am planning on doing the same to a Tora TK coil 29er, but I am not sure if it's doable.
From looking at the Tech Manual, the only time it talks about changing travel is when it refers to air forks (page 41):
It seems to me that for changing the travel (at least for the Tora) a new coil/shaft is needed.