Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    29er for life!!

New question here. Rock Shox Dart 1

I dont get to ride as often as i like too..maybe 1 to 2 times a week at best.I ride some pritty tecinical trails too.I weigh around 175,would the rock shox dart 1 be a ok fork for me to get?I have a suntour on there now.Thanks

I <3 bikes
    Well...yes, I suppose if it fits what you are looking for in a fork, then go for it. What kind of qualities do you look for in a fork?

Former Bike Wrench
    The Dart 1 has a single spring and NO damper...I don't see how it would be any improvement over a Suntour (and some Suntour forks would be better).

At least get a Dart 2 with a damper and rebound adjustment

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You're better off putting a rigid fork on there with a big, fat tire.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The Dart 1 has a single spring and NO damper...I don't see how it would be any improvement over a Suntour (and some Suntour forks would be better).

X2

mtbr member

X3!

mtbr member
    I had a Dart2 on my Felt from the LBS. It worked great but I needed something more so with about 10 miles on the fork I replaced with a Marz and have never looked back.

Sold the Dart2 on E-bay for like $80. Was good for me and the buyer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Dart 1 is a very big improvement over a ridged fork. It has its limitations, but I am happy with mine for what it is. I have no problem keeping up with the majority of folks on XC trails unless they are really hard core. I am very happy with mine for the price.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaab9-2
    The Dart 1 is a very big improvement over a ridged fork. It has its limitations, but I am happy with mine for what it is. I have no problem keeping up with the majority of folks on XC trails unless they are really hard core. I am very happy with mine for the price.
    That is beyond debatable...

What?
    X2!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, the fact of the matter is that many people with their $1500-$2000+ bikes are posers, out of shape and do not know how to ride at the level that their bikes are capable of. That is a fact.

mtbr member
    Well, the fact of the matter is that many people with their $1500-$2000+ bikes are posers, out of shape and do not know how to ride at the level that their bikes are capable of. That is a fact.
    well that's your side to the debate apparently, but I personally agree with the others and prefer the feel of my steel rigid fork to the Dart 1 on my wife's bike. The dang Dart acts enough like a bouncy pogo stick on repeated bumps that it becomes unpredictable, whereas at least I know how my rigid fork will behave. Plus unless I constantly baby it the thing has so much stiction I can never be sure if it will respond to a bump or not. I can't wait to upgrade her fork for her

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Maybe, but that doesn't say anything about the Dart 1...

PS Does anyone know why this stupid Peter Pan feather is showing up in place of the skeptical emoticon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus

PS Does anyone know why this stupid Peter Pan feather is showing up in place of the skeptical emoticon?
    looks fine here; must be your browser. Try clearing your cache

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    looks fine here; must be your browser. Try clearing your cache
    Good call.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you have any ride time with a rigid fork?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Do you have any ride time with a rigid fork?
    Yes, I used to bike a lot about 15 years ago.... and then 2 years ago I got back into things and continued to ride my ridgid fork for another year on the same trails I used my new bike on. This was on my 91 Diamond Back Accent and the ridged fork was painful at times on the hard stuff , you couldn't go anywhere near as fast down hills without a shock and I wouldn't have even considered taking "moderate" jumps for fear of the impact. My arms would itch/burn from the vibrations even with the tire pressure as low as I could keep it without destroying my rim. Yes, painful at times.

My Sawback 5XX came with the Dart 1 and it was night and day. While yes, it isn't a "good" shock, it is so much better than my old bike with a ridged fork. I have never ridden a bike with a more expensive shock (well, other than the bike I road with a Fox shock on it and that wasn't for more than a 1/2 mile or so and I didn't do anything crazy) so i guess I don't fully understand what I am missing (the rebond control on the Fox made me not want to ride a nice bike again as I got a hind of what i am missing ) - but to say that the Dart 1 is worse than a ridgid fork (at least from my experience) is ridiculous. It was night and day.

I can post the link later - but if you search youtube for the words Forge Sawback 5XX and White Clay Middle Run one of the videos will be a HD one - in that one I am playing around a little with a camera mounted on my bike on the "skills trial" and it clearly shows the shock working.

Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    That is a fair statement.

I would love to upgrade my fork but I only paid $360 for my bike to start... hard to justify a $500 or even $200 shock on it... but I am going to keep my eyes open for something better down the road for sure. My point is just that it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. For me, XC riding is for fun and while not a pro - I am fairly good at it/have been doing it regularly and the Dart 1 made my riding much more fun!
    Last edited by Snaab9-2; 11-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Yes, I used to bike a lot about 15 years ago.... and then 2 years ago I got back into things and continued to ride my rigid fork for another year on the same trails I used my new bike one. This was on my 91 Diamond Back Accent and the ridged fork was painful at times on the hard stuff , you couldn't go anywhere near as fast down hills without a shock and I wouldn't have even considered taking "moderate" jumps for fear of the impact.

My Sawback 5XX came with the Dart 1 and it was night and day. While yes, it isn't a "good" shock, it is so much better than my old bike with a ridged fork. I have never ridden a bike with a more expensive shock (well, other than the bike I road with a Fox shock on it and that wasn't for more than a 1/2 mile or so and I didn't do anything crazy) so i guess I don't fully understand what I am missing (the rebond control on the Fox made me not want to ride a nice bike again as I got a hind of what i am missing ) - but to say that the Dart 1 is worse than a ridgid fork (at least from my experience) is ridiculous. It was night and day.

I can post the link later - but if you search youtube for the words Forge Sawback 5XX and White Clay Middle Run one of the videos will be a HD one - in that one I am playing around a little with a camera mounted on my bike on the "skills trial" and it clearly shows the shock working.

I would love to upgrade my fork but I only paid $360 for my bike to start... hard to justify a $500 or even $250 shock on it... but I am going to keep my eyes open for something better down the road for sure. My point is just that it isn't as bad as some make it out to be..
    there's a huge difference between a rigid fork with the tiny 1.9" tires or whatever was popular back in the day and a rigid fork with a modern, high-volume but fast rolling tire in the 2.2"+ range. Did I say huge already? It wasn't the forks that made those old bikes so sketchy it was the tires. I have no problem going quite fast on rocky downhills on my rigid 29er (admittedly not quite as fast as with my suspension fork installed) and no problem taking some decent drops either.

I'm not sure exactly what the other were implying but I personally wasn't trying to say rigid is definitely better, just that it is close enough to certainly be debatable and be open to personal preference. Heck, many people still prefer rigid forks even over very expensive modern suspension forks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    there's a huge difference between a rigid fork with the tiny 1.9" tires or whatever was popular back in the day and a rigid fork with a modern, high-volume but fast rolling tire in the 2.2"+ range. Did I say huge already? It wasn't the forks that made those old bikes so sketchy it was the tires. I have no problem going quite fast on rocky downhills on my rigid 29er (admittedly not quite as fast as with my suspension fork installed) and no problem taking some decent drops either.

I'm not sure exactly what the other were implying but I personally wasn't trying to say rigid is definitely better, just that it is close enough to certainly be debatable and be open to personal preference. Heck, many people still prefer rigid forks even over very expensive modern suspension forks
    Fair enough and I agree. Guess that is what makes the world go around - everyone has their own opinions/preferences. I have seen guys out there that really know what they are doing on their single speeds with ridgid forks (though they tend to be weight nazis) - but IMO not having a front shock, even if it is the dreaded Dart 1, takes away from things (especially on a 26).

And while maybe you were not trying to say ridgid is definitely better, you made it clear that in your opinion it was more predictable than a Dart 1 and that a Dart 1 is a total POS that didn't belong on a MTN bike... and I would dissagree... at least on a 26 incher - cannot speak on the 29ers. But we can agree to disagree. Some people will aruge that a Prius is more fun to drive than a Miata.... but maybe in their eyes that is the case.

My old bike had a 2.1 in front tire on it as does my current bike (will be my next upgrade to go larger 2.3 or 2.5 Weirwolf) so I cannot agree with you saying it was the tires. I don't care if you are rolling on 1.9s or 2.5s, I will take the 26 incher with the Dart 1 over a ridged fork - no contest. Night and day! Also, I was talking 26 inch wheels but I suppose 29s would take some of the harness out of things - no doubt.
    Last edited by Snaab9-2; 11-05-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Your argument is completely non sequitur. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether a Dart 1 is better or worse than a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    To the OP, I'd try to get a better fork than a Dart 1 if you can swing it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm not particularly interested in fashion in how I build my bikes (bar ends, for example) so I have nothing invested in a rigid fork being better than a suspension fork. I really just have my experience. My current bike came with an RST Capa. I'm sure everyone who's ridden one of those can agree they're total garbage, and when I borrowed a friend's rigid bike for a race and stuck my 2.1" tires on it, I was surprised to find that while the ride was a bit harsher, the tracking was much, much better than what I'd experienced on the RST. I think the RST was sketchier on fast singletrack, roots or descents than the rigid and a 2.1" tire. I wouldn't trade the Manitou R7 I have now for a rigid, though - I think it's a big improvement.

I'm not sure where to draw the line for better/worse than a rigid in the hierarchy of suspension forks. People have nice things to say about Suntours, so maybe it's between RST and Suntour. My personal suspicion is that the things that make some suspension forks have worse tracking than rigids are small stanchions and wide tolerances in the way the lowers fit onto the stanchions. I also wouldn't want to ride something without rebound damping, although it's worth noting that all suspension forks have rebound damping, whether it's a tunable, well-designed system or just friction between the fork legs and the stanchions.

I don't know if a Dart 1 would be an improvement over a rigid for me. The 3+ lb. weight penalty would bother me. I'm suspicious of the skinny stanchions. And if I don't happen to be the right weight for the amount of damping provided by friction to make the rebound about right, I think it would give me a lot of trouble on a descent. With all the reports of failures of the lowest-level RockShox damper, I don't think I'd want to go any lower than the Tora 318 in their line. At least rigid forks don't have seals to blow, or knobs to fall off like RSTs and Suntours.

Some popular budget forks are the Rock Shox Tora 318, some of the other Toras, some of the Recons, and lately the Manitou Match has been getting some attention. If those are all more than your pricepoint, look for something on EBay.

Inexpensive bikes come with a number of components that it wouldn't make any sense to buy aftermarket, either because the bike companies don't think that customer will ride enough to have a problem (disposable cranksets on a lot of bikes) or because the customer demands them (off-brand suspension forks.) Some of them, IMO, are like putting spinners on a Yugo, and some just reflect the amount that the big manufacturers charge for better quality, serviceable gear.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Your argument is completely non sequitur. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether a Dart 1 is better or worse than a rigid fork.
    Wow, non sequitur - fancy.

We will have to agree to disagree. There is no way that a rigid fork is better IMO - no way. Sorry, you will have an easier time convincing me the world is flat.

Former Bike Wrench

We will have to agree to disagree. There is no way that a rigid fork is better IMO - no way. Sorry, you will have an easier time convincing me the world is flat.
    Well see, that is a totally different argument which as I said is beyond debatable. However your original argument was this

Which has NOTHING to do with whether a Dart 1 is better or worse than a rigid fork

mtbr member

Given how many hundreds of people on this forum alone choose to use rigid forks just out of personal preference shows that "better" is not a valid way to differentiate. Are full-suspension bikes better than hardtails, are geared bikes better than singlespeeds, are mountain bikes better than road bikes? Nope, they're all just different

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast