( o Y o ) 's!!

Is this right? - 06 DHX 5.0 schrader valve

My 06 SX Trail came with the DHX 5.0 but I noticed that there isn't a schrader valve on it. The manuals and product pics show one protruding out from the bottom-out adjustment. My guess is that it's removed because it would hit the frame. What gives?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

?

That is not right.
    Changing the pressure in BO valve is essential to getting the quality of ride out fo that shock.
    Call whoever you got it from, see if it was factory spec.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    no all the spech enduro's come with a custom dhx with out the boost valve to stop it hitting the frame i think. this i perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. you can get a custom shock with the boost valve but i think that the stroke has to be shortened to accomodate it not sure tho

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne
    My 06 SX Trail came with the DHX 5.0 but I noticed that there isn't a schrader valve on it. The manuals and product pics show one protruding out from the bottom-out adjustment. My guess is that it's removed because it would hit the frame. What gives?
    What you've got there is a non adjustable boost valve pressure. You correctly guessed the valve was removed because of frame interference. It was common on the 06 SX Trail frames. I think all of them came like that, but I may be wrong. All the early reports pointed out to that.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Geeze, how could they slap on a reduced feature rear shock and still call it a DHX 5.0. It should be called the DHX 5.Gimp. How am I supposed to dial-in my BO then. I've gotta make some phone calls now, I'll get to the bottom of this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Geeze, how could they slap on a reduced feature rear shock and still call it a DHX 5.0. It should be called the DHX 5.Gimp. How am I supposed to dial-in my BO then. I've gotta make some phone calls now, I'll get to the bottom of this.
    Yeah, technically since it's missing an adjustment, it's a 4.0, but the 4.0 had the boost valve, not bottom-out.

If you want to adjust bottom-out, it has that adjuster doesn't it?

Think yourself lucky, my OEM DHX 3.0 has the boost air-valve, but no Propedal or bottom-out adjustments.

mtbr member
    unfortunately all you're going to get to the bottom of is the fact that all specialized enduro's with a dhx shock (air or coil) are this way and have been since specialized went from the 5th element to the dhx on the enduro line. this is nothing new and the manuals on the fox website do reference this fact.

how long have you had the bike?

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    unfortunately all you're going to get to the bottom of is the fact that all specialized enduro's with a dhx shock (air or coil) are this way and have been since specialized went from the 5th element to the dhx on the enduro line. this is nothing new and the manuals on the fox website do reference this fact.

how long have you had the bike?

After more reading you are right and there really isn't much I can do. I finished the bike build last Sunday. My 03 SX frame cracked and I upgraded to an SX Trail.

mtbr member
    if you really want to know what you can and can't do, read this thread. warning, it's looong.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I believe the valve is missing because you cant access it without removing the shock. It comes "factory" set, "the boost valve is for the transition from pro pedal to square edge bump absorption and it decouples the bottom out adjustment from the pro pedal" . you still can adjust the propedal with the knob, but as far as adding or removing air no can do
    its all in the manual
    Last edited by dan0; 01-26-2007 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It is factory preset, so not a huge biggie. I've read that it matches up pretty well vs the DHX that does have the valve still. That being said, I can't wait to get my DHX with the valve on my Enduro on Monday...

1:18
    I suggest using search function: Specialized forum, type boost.

Short abstract: the valve on Enduro and SX Trail line is missing, you can adjust Bottom out, which changes the IFP pressure (Boost Valve).

the goose is loose!
    specialized said the the boost presuure is pre-set and has been set to the optimum preussurefor the frame design.even if the valve does fit in there, it would be a pain to change the pressure because you would have to remove the shock to adjust the pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Think yourself lucky, my OEM DHX 3.0 has the boost air-valve, but no Propedal or bottom-out adjustments.
    Yeah, but that just goes to show how elemental the boost air adjustment is to getting a good ride!

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    specialized said the the boost presuure is pre-set and has been set to the optimum preussurefor the frame design.even if the valve does fit in there, it would be a pain to change the pressure because you would have to remove the shock to adjust the pressure.
    What are they going to say, that's just putting a positive spin on a shortcoming.

I've found that the pressure setting in the DHX 5.0 depends a lot on rider weight. I'm sure the pressure they put in it is fine for the "normal weight" rider, but probably somewhat off if you're much above or below that.

the goose is loose!
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    What are they going to say, that's just putting a positive spin on a shortcoming.

I've found that the pressure setting in the DHX 5.0 depends a lot on rider weight. I'm sure the pressure they put in it is fine for the "normal weight" rider, but probably somewhat off if you're much above or below that.
    that's true. different-then-average riders are s.o.l. unless they want tp push their shock or get a real 5.0. i would think they would try to design it so that the shrader valve would fit...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes and spec screws people again and tells them its for their own good. Should be a DHX 4.1, and that thread talking about how great the fifth is for them (their custom design) and all that what a load now fifth isnt even in the industry and has failed to send us shock bushing 3 times now and when we asked about it after the 1st time not seeing them for 2 weeks they said oh well parts dont ship untill a month after order anyway! Can you believe that now its been 3 months and nothing, decent product but go back to harleys they suck.