Underskilled

Review of Fox's Kashima coat

Hi,

I am looking for a pro review of the new kashima coat on Fox forks.

It has the potential to be a HUGE shift in performance, but as of yet no reviews.

The terralogic has been reviewed, but does not cover kashima.

I am looking for a direct comparison between a '10 and an '11 Fox 36.

Anyone know of a review (by somone who is not on Fox payroll) or when there will be one?

Friends wants to buy, but need to know if worth waiting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    2011 Fox TALAS 36 120/160...it does not have a HSC, only LSC. the 2011 TALAS 36 140/180 has the HSC/LSC. i did pump them while at the seaotter...IMO it's just stanchion coated with gold. i asked one of the Fox guys why they removed the HSC on the TALAS 120/160...he can't answer me. Though the kashima coating was made it to be smoother and tougher...

Underskilled
    Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly making me feel a bit stupid.

What is HSC LSC?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    HSC = high speed compression
    LSC = low speed compression

for the complete definition, wikipedia will help you better...for i'm really lazy typing.

Underskilled
    Hi,

I had not heard them abbreviated like that, but well aware what they are, you just threw me as I was asking about the coating.

Anyone else know anything?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Rode a Fox 360 180 with the Kashima coat. Amazing. I have 2010 Fox 36 160, about 10 months old and there was no comparison between the two at the same air pressure. The Fox 180 was brand new and the smoothness of the fork made my 160 feel tight.

I wonder if Fox has an upgrade program?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schumi
    2011 Fox TALAS 36 120/160...it does not have a HSC, only LSC. the 2011 TALAS 36 140/180 has the HSC/LSC. i did pump them while at the seaotter...IMO it's just stanchion coated with gold. i asked one of the Fox guys why they removed the HSC on the TALAS 120/160...he can't answer me. Though the kashima coating was made it to be smoother and tougher...
    They removed the HSC in the 160 TALAS to make the fork lighter, simpler and have the lockout.

The Kashima is supposed to make the stantions tougher and smoother.

You still need a bit of a break in period to notice the difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

If you get the fork, swap out the oil

No clue when there'll be a review but after replacing the oil in mine it made a huge eff'in difference. 160 van is a very smooth fork, but the stock oil blows. And it's still a bit of a ***** to get the air out.

When I first got the fork the seals sounded dry even with lube. And it seemed to be sticking a bit with the stock oil in it. After a month of beating on it to get over the break-in period, I started to worry that there wasn't enough oil from the factory because it wouldn't "break-in". After opening the fork I found there was the correct amount, it's just terrible oil. So if you get the fork, don't wait, just change the fluid. It's worth it