k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Revelation RLT 140 2011 at Jenson

Is this fork worth anything ? I am not really up to date on forks, picked up Blur LTc frame on sale, looking either for a new fork or transplanting Marzocchi 44RLO from my current frame extending the travel to 140mm and using a step-down lower headset.

Link here : Rockshox Revelation RLT 140 Oe Fork '11 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It is air-sprung - right ? What are the differences vs. 2012 and 2013 versions ?

TIA.

mtbr member
    The 2013 versions are now only solo - air, not the dual air system previously used. The other main change is that the motion control damper has changed, the black box titanium damper has been replaced with the DNA motion control dampers. Black box damper is still good though.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I rode an '11 Revelation for a year and loved every bit of it. Stiffer than a Float, far better small bump compliance than a Talas. The Dual Air spring lets you dial in your negative spring pressure to counter the fork's stiction, and in my experience it worked extremely well. It could be hugs-from-baby-jesus good over chatter. I was pretty pleased with the damper, too, once you understand exactly what Floodgate does. I can't speak to later years' damping, and I don't know why they stopped using the Dual Air system this year. If I was building a 140mm bike, I'd snap up a Revelation again. At that price, too, it's hard not to.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, that's very probably a 150mm fork with a 10mm travel spacer inside it. Some bike manufacturers specc'd a 140mm fork to match their bikes' geometry, and rather than manufacture a new product they simply installed a spacer for those customers. This was the case with my Ibis Mojo SL, and probably the case with this fork since it's OE. You can remove the spacer when you service the air spring if you want, and get a free 150mm more travel (and 10mm more A2C height).

mtbr member
    I picked up an OE '11 revel 140, but straight steer, from Competitive Cyclist last spring. When I got my Mojo SL. It was $350 and the match has been VERY good.
    The first person who opens any of these Oe 140s, and indeed finds just a spacer, to remove, and put it to 150, let us know.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Been looking at those for awhile, just wish it was 20mm.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for your opinions - will likely get one (my frame just arrived), just at this point would have to get new wheel (current one is 9mm)... Anyway - thanks a lot !

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Gravedig.. But did anyone ever find out if the fork had a spacer inside? I'm about to order one for my Blur LT

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by dwhatley View Post
    Gravedig.. But did anyone ever find out if the fork had a spacer inside? I'm about to order one for my Blur LT
    Yes. I bought this same fork from Jenson about 6 months ago for my Transition Bandit and it has spacers just like the Reba. Reba can be spaced from 80/100/120 which I have done, my Revelation came with 10mm spacers and can be set up at 130/140/150mm. Very happy with this fork at this price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hmm.. I talked to their chat people a few times and they told me the fork didn't have any spacers in it so I settled on buying a 2012 RL 150mm for $330 off eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's a great deal, buy just so you know, I have the 10mm spacers that came from Jenson with my Revelation, and they look just like the 20mm spacers I used to change the travel in my Reba. Either you are lying, or the person you talked to has no idea what fork you are talking about. Maybe you should double check your details and communication skills because I believe you are missing something. I'm guessing you talked to a salesperson and not a mechanic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's a great deal, buy just so you know, I have the 10mm spacers that came from Jenson with my Revelation, and they look just like the 20mm spacers I used to change the travel in my Reba. Either you are lying, or the person you talked to has no idea what fork you are talking about. Maybe you should double check your details and communication skills because I believe you are missing something. I'm guessing you talked up a salesperson and not a mechanic.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaBen View Post
    That's a great deal, buy just so you know, I have the 10mm spacers that came from Jenson with my Revelation, and they look just like the 20mm spacers I used to change the travel in my Reba. Either you are lying, or the person you talked to has no idea what fork you are talking about. Maybe you should double check your details and communication skills because I believe you are missing something. I'm guessing you talked up a salesperson and not a mechanic.
    The question is were the spacers IN the fork or did they come in a bag. If it's a 140mm fork and has 10mm spacers installed in the fork then it's a 150mm Rev, that's what people want to know.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You take the spacers out to increase travel. You put them in to decrease the travel. Mine came set up at 140mm with one 10mm spacer in a bag. If I were to add this spacer, I could decrease my travel to 130mm. If I were to remove the spacer that is in my fork already, I would have a 150mm travel fork. This may only be the case for the Dual Air forks with the separate positive & negative air chambers. I am not familiar with the new set up. But I have 2 Reba's, one set up at 120mm that was 100mm when I bought it, and one still at the stock 100mm. They are exactly like my Revelation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think my communication skills are doing just fine.. I asked on two occasions to different chat reps about whether the fork had spacers installed to reduce travel. The first person told me they weren't sure, and the second told me that the fork definitely did not have spacers inside.

What would be the point of lying about this?
    I don't know if I talked to mechanics or sales reps. I'm just relaying what I was told.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Piranha, since you've bought this exact fork can you confirm whether it has the BlackBox damper or the regular Motion Control damper?

THe information on the page says it has Blackbox. But its also advertised as an RLT not RLT Ti. As I understand it, RLT is the regular damper not Blackbox.

mtbr member
    Just in case anyone was still wondering: they don't make a 140mm Revelation, it just has a 10mm spacer inside.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry ilikefire, but I am not educated enough to know the difference. I can tell you that my fork says RLT dual air on it not TI.
    Two heads, that is a good way to state the fork description. It's like saying they don't make a 100mm Reba. It's just a 120mm with a 20mm spacer inside. By the way. I also just purchased a SID XX29er fork and guess what came in the service kit. Travel spacers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just received mine in the mail the other day.

I had asked the chat ppl at Jenson if it indeed came with the Blackbox damper given that its the RLT not Ti. Jenson told me that the website is mistaken and that it has the standard Motion Control damper in it.

Guess what? Its not standard motion control OR black box at all....

Now to find out which rebound unit I have......

Revelation RLT 140 2011 at Jenson-dsc_2181.jpg

mtbr member
    What does the sticker on the fork crown say? It should say either Motion Control or BlackBox.

BlackBox:

or

MoCo:
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 03-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There is no sticker on the crown.

But the photo I attached shows the newer (2012) Motion Control DNA damper sitting inside my fork. Actually the compression knob also says motion control DNA on it.

but given that the website says it was supposed to be black box and then the jenson ppl (and the Rock Shox website) said it was supposed to be standard moco and then instead I got the newer DNA.... who knows which rebound damper unit is inside there....
    Last edited by ilikefire; 03-13-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    Heh, now that you mention it...my Revelation doesn't have a sticker on it either. I guess they did away with that at some point...

FWIW, my fork is a Revelation 150 RL, Motion Control and my right side top cap also says "Motion Control DNA".