mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Revelation dual air (20mm) vs marz 44 rc3 Ti

Building up a specialized stumpy evo and am a little tentative on pulling the trigger on a new fork. This will be my first air fork in a loooong time and the smallest fork I have ever run.

What I'm looking for

-Stiff
    -good dampening
    -reliability
    -high speed small/big bump performance

So I narrowed it down to a revelation dual air with 20 mm axle (used fork) and a marz 44 rc3 Ti (2012),

I'm a big guy at 6'2" and 230ish pounds. This bike will be mainly be used for after work trail shred session 8-10 miles and big weekend epics 30+ miles.

Thabks for any help!
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 01-26-2013 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Changed my heading

mtbr member
    I've run the Revelation WC (15mm axle) and the 44 RC3 Ti. They are both nice forks but do feel distinctly different. Of the two I prefer the 44.

The Rev feels like a more XC oriented long travel fork where the 44 feels burlier, being 400gm or so heavier. Small bump compliance on the Rev isn't as good as the 44, but it isn't harsh either. The 44 feels stiffer than the WC and is much easier to set up. I did have some issues with the Rev when I first got it where the 44 has been faultless besides wearing out the seals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    I've run the Revelation WC (15mm axle) and the 44 RC3 Ti. They are both nice forks but do feel distinctly different. Of the two I prefer the 44.

The Rev feels like a more XC oriented long travel fork where the 44 feels burlier, being 400gm or so heavier. Small bump compliance on the Rev isn't as good as the 44, but it isn't harsh either. The 44 feels stiffer than the WC and is much easier to set up. I did have some issues with the Rev when I first got it where the 44 has been faultless besides wearing out the seals.
    Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah I kinda came to the conclusion from what I've read that the marz edges out the rev performance wise. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is since I wiegh 230# and will presumbly have to run air in the 44 marz ti, does that bring the marz & rev closer in performance for how I would have to run them? Also at 230# would the rev dual air lend more of an advantage to me over the marz? And would the rev with a 20mm axle equalize the stiffness?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't worry about having to add air to the Marz, Extra air in it doesn't really change how well it eats up bumps, however you can also add more oil to the spring side fork leg to change how progressive the spring rate is while getting away with lower air pressure on the other leg.

Anyway, I weigh around 190 geared up, and usually run about 3 pumps from my shock pump for preload on my 44 RC3, you still probably won't need to run enough pressure for preload for it to register on your shock pumps gauge.

mtbr member
    Adding air won't cause any problems, but counting strokes is the best way to work it out unless you have a pump with a 100psi gauge. Assuming the Rev doesn't have any issues with the Dual Air spring I still prefer the performance of the 44.

After changing the seals I used a slightly heavier oil, which is something I've done in all of my Marzocchi forks. I can run less air preload and damping still feels excellent.

I find the 44s with the 15mm axle stiffer than my Marz AM1 SLs with a 20mm axle, but the Revs and Float 32s are also stiffer than the AM1 SLs. I can't compare it to a 20mm RS fork though, sorry.