mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Replacing seals on Magura Wotan

The seals on my Wotan are leaking pretty bad. I know Magura says you have to send in your fork for service but has anyone serviced this fork themselves? If so how do you remove the rebound knob? Any other tips on rebuilding this fork?

thanks

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello

This fork is easy to service, Go for it!

The rebound knob is held on just by an o-ring so you can grab the knob and simply pull downward. If your fingers need a little grip help, wrap some cloth (preferred leather) around the knob in order to avoid scratching it and then use pliers or some type of "robo- grip" tool and pull straight down or away from the fork bottom.
    This exposes the 5 mm allen bolt attaching the lowers.

Remove the lowers and now you can go after the dust seals which are easy to remove and replace.
    You can use ours, Fox's, or anyone else's dust seals for that matter that are the proper size but be sure to clean the interior, re-lubricate the lowers, clean and relube or replace the foam rings while you are there and the fork should be good for another year or enjoyment!

Go for it!
    Jude

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jude@magurausa.com
    Hello

This fork is easy to service, Go for it!

The rebound knob is held on just by an o-ring so you can grab the knob and simply pull downward. If your fingers need a little grip help, wrap some cloth (preferred leather) around the knob in order to avoid scratching it and then use pliers or some type of "robo- grip" tool and pull straight down or away from the fork bottom.
    This exposes the 5 mm allen bolt attaching the lowers.

Remove the lowers and now you can go after the dust seals which are easy to remove and replace.
    You can use ours, Fox's, or anyone else's dust seals for that matter that are the proper size but be sure to clean the interior, re-lubricate the lowers, clean and relube or replace the foam rings while you are there and the fork should be good for another year or enjoyment!

Go for it!
    Nice video on the basic lube thing here. http://www.magura.com/en/products/su...fo/movies.html
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I replaced them a couple weeks ago using fox seals and they are working great. Right before I replaced them oil started blowing out of the top of the Albert select cartridge. I pulled it apart with some input from Jude and was able to fix it. Overall the whole thing is pretty simple and straight forward.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the updates! Fantastic.
    Good work.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    Nice video on the basic lube thing here. http://www.magura.com/en/products/su...fo/movies.html
    Nothing there.