mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Replacing 2009 Rockshox reba Race Rebound dampener

I have a 2009 rockshox reba race (26"). I took it in to have it serviced and my LBS informed me that a seal on the rebound dampener was shriveled and allowing oil to seep out of the top of the lock out. Apparently this was a known problem and SRAM was fixing this for free for a while.

The seal was soaked in oil and the dampener was put back in the fork. I was told to keep an eye on it. I noticed yesterday it was leaking oil again out of the lockout. So I took it back up to my LBS. They suggested replacing the Rebound dampener. Without calling SRAM to get an official price and part no. the tech did a quick search online and came up with close to 100 bucks for a replacement dampener. When I got home I did a search and found that he must have been looking at the reba black box dampener and the regular dampener is around half that price.

Would I notice a huge difference with the black box dampener or should I just save the scratch and replace it with the normal part?

mtbr member
    Rebound is at the bottom of the fork, compression at the top. So fitting a new rebound damper will not fix your probem. A seal kit, specifically the o-rings for the compression catridge, fitted properly should remedy this problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My apologies I meant compression damper. The guys at my LBS are telling me that the entire assembly needs to be changed. They're usually pretty spot on with their advise but 100 bucks seems a little steep to me

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    2009 Reba Air U-Turn Motion Control
    Exploded Diagram
    Parts List & Part Numbers

2009 Reba Dual Air Motion Control
    Exploded Diagram

2009 Reba Race Compression Damper = Part Number 11.4015.316.000
    $94 - Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Motion Control Dampers

2009 Reba Service Kit = Part Number 11.4015.320.000
    $27 - Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Fork Rebuild Service Kits

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan.gurc View Post
    My apologies I meant compression damper. The guys at my LBS are telling me that the entire assembly needs to be changed. They're usually pretty spot on with their advise but 100 bucks seems a little steep to me
    The damper costs $50
    Rebound damper, 09 Reba SL,Race (26/29 in.), Fork Maintenance and Service Parts

The black box damper is obviously better.
    2009-11 29" Reba Black Box Rebound Damper/Seal Head Assembly on eBay!

If you want to increase the performance of your fork, then get the Black box damper.
    If you are happy with your fork or are on a tight budget, just get the normal damper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    2009 Reba Air U-Turn Motion Control
    Exploded Diagram

2009 Reba Dual Air Motion Control
    Exploded Diagram

2009 Reba Race Compression Damper = Part Number 11.4015.316.000
    $94 - Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Motion Control Dampers

2009 Reba Service Kit = Part Number 11.4015.320.000
    $27 - Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Fork Rebuild Service Kits

Thanks for tracking that down for me. SInce I have the remote I think the part number is 11.4015.316.010.Thanks for the help.