mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Replaced Suntour XCR and shaved off 1.25 lbs!

Just replaced my 29er stock Suntour XCR fork with a Rockshox Silver Recon Soloair TK and saved about 1.25lbs. While I am not one of those people that are obsessed with having a lighter bike, it was pleasantly surprised to see it.
    I have read how the Silver Recon is heavy and without knowing how much my Suntour fork weighed, I wasn't sure if there would even be a weight reduction.
    Approximate weights:
    Suntour XCR 29" = 5.5lbs
    Rockshox Silver Solo Air TK 29" = 4.25lbs (before cutting tube). A bit lighter than Rockshox stated. Maybe since they didn't want to take sales away from the Recon Gold since the Gold is supposed to be much lighter.
    Felt 29er: 31lbs 10 ounces now which is still heavy but not a big deal to me.

Have riden it yet but just around a short trip down my street, I could feel that it seems to absorb the bumps much more than the Suntour coil.

mtbr member
    I started working on my Diamondback overdrive 29er this week. Initial stock weight was 32.5lbs. and so far after replacing the stock Suntour XCT for a Recon Gold solo air plus handlebars, grips, stem, seatpost and saddle, I brought it down to 29lbs!!! What else are you planning to swap on your ride? I still have way to go: Stan's ARCH EX wheelset, tubeless tires, Avid Elixir 3 or 5 brakes and SLX or XT groupset depending on budget. Should be complete by end of September. My goal is to get around 25lbs...