mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Replace 3/8" shock bolt for 8mm?

I recently ordered a set of offset bushings for my 06 Mk1 Nomad (using 3/8" shock bolts). Despite pointing this out in the order form, the bushings arrived with a 8mm hole for the shock mount.

Before going back to offsetbushings, is there a quick fix to make this work? Can I simply replace the original 3/8" shock bolt with a 8mm bolt from the hardware shop?

What?
    As long as you use a grade 8 bolt, I dont see why using a 8mm bolt from the hardware store would be an issue. If you use a softer grade 3 or 5 bolt, It might bend, but I dont see that happening with the grade 8. I say try it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My buddy lost the 10mm pivot bolt for his Blur V1 and used an 8mm bolt. Despite hefty torque it shifted from the center position and did a bit of paint chipping around the clamping area. Personally I'd get the right bushings especially since they are offset.

MTB B'dos
    Doing the calculations that 3/8" hole is roughly 9.5mm, so that's a bit of room for it to wiggle around in, I'd get the right bushings once you have your screen capture of the order or confirmation e-mail showing you ordered the right ones. If like me you're too damned far away and the cost of shipping back is prohibitive, then look for a shop to dril the bushings out to 3/8".
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    My buddy lost the 10mm pivot bolt for his Blur V1 and used an 8mm bolt. Despite hefty torque it shifted from the center position and did a bit of paint chipping around the clamping area. Personally I'd get the right bushings especially since they are offset.
    Just to be precise. It's the reducer that's offset, not the actual bushing. So the new setup will be the new offset reducer with 8 mm hole + new 8 mm bolt, to replace the old reducer with 3/8" hole + old 3/8" bolt

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    As long as you use a grade 8 bolt, I dont see why using a 8mm bolt from the hardware store would be an issue. If you use a softer grade 3 or 5 bolt, It might bend, but I dont see that happening with the grade 8. I say try it.
    Thanks. I might give it a try.

Is it a possible issue that the 8 mm bolt will be threaded, while the old bolt was smooth?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaven View Post
    Just to be precise. It's the reducer that's offset, not the actual bushing. So the new setup will be the new offset reducer with 8 mm hole + new 8 mm bolt, to replace the old reducer with 3/8" hole + old 3/8" bolt
    Yes reducer is the correct terminology I just piggy backed on your use of bushing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaven View Post
    Thanks. I might give it a try.

Is it a possible issue that the 8 mm bolt will be threaded, while the old bolt was smooth?
    Theoretically, the bolt should stay stationary with respect to the reducers, and squeeze the reducers hard enough so that all the rotation is between the reducer and the bushing. So I don't think it would matter.

But you should try to find a bolt with a long shoulder anyway. You could use a standard threaded bolt temporarily while you wait for your "official" bolt to arrive.

What?
    As long as the bolt is the same size as the reducer hole, There is no reason why you cant use a hardware store bolt. Its going to accomplish the same thing.