mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Remove rear shock from Giant Maestro???

Does anyone have any idea how to remove the rear shock from a Giant Maestro suspension? I want to service my rp2 shock, but can figure out how to get the bottom of the shock out.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Email giant instead of asking here. Prob get a better reply. Guy i work with ended up putting a shock cover on his rear shock, realy prolonged the life. They put open shocks in the dirtiest location and totaly exposed.....facepalm. anyways, its lasted way way longer this way, he swears by it now.

I run a hardtail and dont have that issue, personaly i like the setup but dont expect it to hold up if you are catching air or run it totaly exposed.

Im not sure why they dont make better covers for these shocks, maybe a service plus for the industry.

Thats alot of dough to Replace a rear s on a mast...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The easiest way is to remove the crankset & from there it will be self explanatory. One tip, don't push the lower shock bolt all the way out, just enough to remove the rear shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the responses.

I was hoping to not hear "remove crankset" since I've never done it before, but I do have the tools. I am wondering if I can grind down a hex wrench to fit in the small space between chainrings and linkage and get it off that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yes I've heard of people doing that, but it only takes no more then 2 mins. To pull off a crankset. Plus you have to push the lower shock mount from the chain ring side & that's not easy to do with the cranks still on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I went ahead and pulled the crankset and the shock comes right off. Much easier than expected.

Thanks mtbbiker!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    When you reassemble, install the bolt through the non drive side. That way next time you remove the shock the nut can be removed with a hex through the chain ring like you wanted. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    When you reassemble, install the bolt through the non drive side. That way next time you remove the shock the nut can be removed with a hex through the chain ring like you wanted. Works for me.
    it may not be obvious to everyone, but the reason the bolt is installed through the DS is so if you happen to lose the nut during a ride the bolt should not be able to fully back out - causing you to not only lose both pieces but also allow the lower shock mount assembly to fall apart.

that said - i also run the bolt through the NDS.