mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Which Remote for 2017 Fox Float DPS?

I just ordered an old stock 2017 Fox Float DPS remote version as an upgrade for a rp32. I'm havng a really hard time figuring out which 3-position remote is best for it. Jenson has two versions:

This one basically looks like the old CTD remote and includes dual cable pulls so looks easy to set up with my FIt 4 fork if I decide to:
    Fox Shox 2017 3-Position Remote | Jenson USA

The strange thing is I can't find any info on it, and googing what looks to be the part number 820-00-882 brings up almost nothing.

This one looks to be a newer compact version, which I seem to recall has durability issues (?) and would need a splitter to be used with the fork simultaneosuly.
    Fox Three Postion Remote Lever | Jenson USA

I'd really appreciate any guidance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Desertride.

I am/was in the same boat you are in and called fox and got some answers. The first remote you have there with 820-00-882 is the 3 position dual lever remote. You are correct you cannot find jack @#$ of information about this lever or videos of it working. Apparently it's been replaced by the "clamshell model in your 2nd link". The clamshell model has had notorious failure reputations since it was released 2yrs ago. However, they said that their latest model of that fixes some of those issues. The push action on that 2nd "clamshell" remote is supposed to be a lot easier. My only issue with that clamshell version is that you click the grey/white'ish button down once to go from open to trail (middle), then all the way down to lock out. That's fine, that's how 3 position works, but the problem for me with is you can't step it back the other day. In otherwords; once you're all the way down in lockout you can't step back up one step to "trail/middle" When you hit the black button it brings the remote all the way back up to fully open or "descend". This might be great for endurobros, but not for me. I mostly want to be able to go from lockout/to middle (trail) and back and forth. If i get the clamshell model for me to go from lockout to trail i'd have to go from lockout all the back to open then click once again down to get back to trail Sounds like a first world problem but it sucks when racing XC to do that.

Now the 820-00-88 model (dual lever) seems to be able to have the top lever control how far down and the bottom lever control how far back up/open. So that seems right for me since I could lock it out with the top lever then unlock or unclick it once with the bottom lever to get back to "trail/middle"

Hope that helps.

The clamshell model will take up less space and is supposed to have easier lever push action. Just make sure you get whatever the latest and greatest version of that lever there is.

There's literally no videos showing these remotes working. They are all just videos about people bitching about it not working. You will also need to order a new topcap for your fit damper control in order to do this.. you are looking at around 150.00 total for everything. if you have the grip damper you might as well forget looking at remotes at all.

peace

comb

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi comb,

Thanks for the detailed information. I'm sure it will be useful to others as well. In the end I was so frustrated by the lack of clarity and the extra cost of the remote setup, and the inability to convert between the two that I cancelled the order. Fox is losing my business with all this stupidity.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Who knows, will there be any remote for new Fox Float X2 2018 ?
    OK

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am glad I found this thread. Good explanations. You'd think Fox would provide better instructions/clarifications. From what I have seen, you cannot even buy the fork with the proper topcap for the remote, it appears to be separate. Can anyone clarify that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So Comb, do you have the 820-00-882 3 position dual lever remote? And if so, does it work good? I am looking to utilize one remote for a new 2018 Fox fork and a new 2016 shock that comes on the Niner RKT. I was told by Fox that the 820-00-882 remote would work for both if it was configured properly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    Who knows, will there be any remote for new Fox Float X2 2018 ?
    I have called Fox and apparently the answer is yes. Depending on who you talk to you can get different answers. From what I was told, you can use their 3 position (older style) lever(s) and use the firm, medium, and open modes BUT you have to specify that up front and it costs extra (go figure). Or the 2018 lever uses 2 positions, open and firm......even though the forks and shock have 3 modes, so you give up the trail mode, which personally I like. The most expensive fork(s) on the market and to get them with any desirable options that is even more $$. So basically depending on what you have and what you want it to do, you have to have the forks custom built.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    I asked exactly about rear shock Fox Float X2 Explore FLOAT X2 Bike Shocks | FOX
    So, how is your post concerning that shock??
    OK

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    Hi comb,

Thanks for the detailed information. I'm sure it will be useful to others as well. In the end I was so frustrated by the lack of clarity and the extra cost of the remote setup, and the inability to convert between the two that I cancelled the order. Fox is losing my business with all this stupidity.
    I did the same thing and just ordered a Rockshox Pike with remote. Readily available and less expensive.