mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Reducing the Travel in a RS Revelation RCT3 29

Against my better judgement, I am going to attempt to adjust the travel downward on my new Rev from 140MM to 120MM to work with my Jet 9 RDO.

In reading the instructions to do this, the section is sort of tacked on to the main instructions for servicing the fork. It's brand new and does not need to be serviced obviously.

Can anyone shed some light on how best to do this? Can I just remove the lowers and then pull out the dual air spring? Or do I really need to take apart the entire fork just to adjust to travel?

Thanks. Directions are just not that clear to me.

-Dan

mtbr member
    Check the Rockshox service manuals that this can be lowered. I thought I remembered seeing something where the dual air forks require a different air spring shaft if they are lower.

The ghetto way to reduce travel on older Dual Air springs was just to keep pumping air into the negative spring as this will suck the uppers down. But then again, ride quality might suck. Mostly just heard of dirt jumpers doing this on Dual Air Pikes a few years back.

Dual air RCT3 or Solo Air RCT3? 2012 or 2013 fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks.

Sorry...it is a 2012 Dual Air. Travel can be reduced. It comes with the spacers to take it down 10mm or 20mm.

mtbr member
    Drop the lowers, pull the air spring, install the spacer and you're good to go.

You'll need a 5mm allen wrench for the damper side footnut and a deep socket 10mm for the spring side footnut. Be sure all the air is empty from the fork, loosen each footnut a few turns, put the tool back over the nut and tap with a mallet to free the press fit. Take the bolts the rest of the way out, have a pan to catch the dripping bath oil.

Slide the lowers off. Might need a set of snapring pliers to remove a lower lock ring on the spring side, not sure since I've yet to tear into a dual air fork. Use a 24mm socket (preferably 6 sided and with the bevelled edge faced to flat) or the Park tool 24mm cone wrench to remove the top air spring cap. Should then be able to pull the shaft out the bottom and install the spacers, check the instructions though since sometimes you need to push the shaft through the top to get it out.

Put the spacer in, put the spring rod back in, install the lower snap ring, tighten the top cap (I like to use 15wt oil on the threads). Pack some slick honey on the seals, slide the lowers back on. Inject some 15W oil into the lowers through the lower bolt holes. Torque the lower bolts to spec and you're good to go.

Nitrile gloves are good for keeping body oils off suspension components and a clean work area is a must to keep dust and dirt out of the suspension. Check the Rockshox youtube channel, tons of great videos for servicing their forks.