mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Recon Gold stiffer than Recon Silver?

Is the Recon Gold going to be stiffer than the Silver version? This is for 29er too.

I have the Silver on my Spark but seems noodly compared to my Slide RL2 on my HT. I was thinking about replacing the Slide with a Recon Gold for the ride but hate to lose the stiffness.

What are the other differences between the two?

EDIT: Oh I guess it's called something else now. I love the way the Recon Silver on my Spark rides though in comparison...
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

Singletrackmac
    The gold has straight wall aluminum upper tubes and the silver has tapered wall steel tubes. I would think that the silver would be a little stiffer with the tapered wall uppers, but also heavier with steel instead of aluminum.

Wheels usually make a bigger difference in the stiffness than the fork and 29inch wheels are inherently less stiff due to the longer spokes and bigger rims. Are you running the stock wheels with alex rims? if so, this could be a reason for lack of stiffness.

Also, is your HT a QR or TH and is the spark QR or TH? If they are the same, try switching out the wheels to see if that makes a difference. If they are QR's you may want to consider going to a TH. With the longer fork on a 29er a TH will make a big difference.

I have a recon silver TK with QR on my XC bike and is plenty stiff for me at 240lbs. However, I am running easton XC2 wheels with straight pull spokes and it is a 26er so it will have less flex than a 29er wheel.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use the same wheels on both bikes (as in I move them over to what bike I want to use), Stan's Arch EX 3.30 hub with DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt skewer.

The Slide is straight alu steerer and stanchion, but also 120mm with longer A2C. The Spark's Recon Silver has tapered steel steerer and stancion and is only 100mm.

The Slide just feels stiffer than the Recon Silver, it's also one of the nice things people have noted about the Slide. I was thinking the alu stanchions might be stiffer since steel has been regarded to as having more compliance etc.

I was hoping the alu version of the Recon was going to be stiffer.

In the end though I can't seem to find what I want exactly anyways and it looks like I can get the Slide tuned to ride better (and it's not that far off right now) so I'll probably stick with that route.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I was thinking the alu stanchions might be stiffer since steel has been regarded to as having more compliance etc. I was hoping the alu version of the Recon was going to be stiffer.
    You might be right about the alu stations being stiffer with steel being more compliant, not sure though since the alu are straight wall and the silver has tapered walls. Either way i doubt it would make that much of a noticeable diff between the two. Good call on switching from the stock wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I too found that the wheels and even to a degree tires helped alleviate a lot of that vague noodliness. I can assure you the only way to get an even sketchier feel than the Recon Silver w/ cheap machine build AlexRims wheels is to bottom that shock out while burping the tire.

The stantion compliance isn't a terrible thing, and a little bit of give does a lot comfort hitting the odd square-bump rock obstacle (helps give the bigger 29er tires a better chance to monster truck it without completely stopping the bike frame), the flexy wheelsets give no such advantage and are just lame.

Test riding the mid-range GT stuff, I never saw justification for the price premium the Recon Gold carried; the Silver felt a bit more stout, the only difference I noticed was that the lockout on the Gold seemed a tiny bit more positive, but for the price RS wants on the ReconGolds, I'd move to the Fox offering instead, which I chose to.

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    but for the price RS wants on the ReconGolds, I'd move to the Fox offering instead, which I chose to.
    I agree that the price diff between the silver and gold is not worth it and that if your going to spend the money that RS wants for the gold your better off looking for another option. But if your going to move to Fox make sure you move up to at least a 34mm station.

I went from a Fox float 32 to the RS silver after having the fox float for only 1 year. The fox with only 32mm stations turned out to be one of the flexiest forks I had ever owned. After only one year i couldn't take it anymore and sold it and bought the RS silver and noticed a huge difference in stiffness. Sucked too cause I saved up to get the fox name thinking it would be the sh%* and it turned out to be a wet noodle. Luckily I sold it for the price of the RS silver, but if I had originally bought something else besides the fox I could have ended up with a much better fork than the RS silver. At least the silver works as a good XC fork for me.

I know in the Clydesdale forum they don't recommend the fox with 32mm stations, but like fox 34mm and 36mm a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That Slide 29 RL2 must be amazing on stiffness then lol. And my project this week with that fork will be see if I can dial in the sensitivity to small bumps and chatter.

Interestingly this happened to my Recon Silver last week:

And it started sinking into its travel. Hopefully the rebuild it is getting will fix that as I do like the way that fork rides.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20