Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17

    RECON 351 no lockout - Service

    I have been reading through a bunch of threads and watched a bunch of videos on you tube about fork service. I currently have a Recon 351 with poploc (no adjustment knob on Handlebars poploc). There is no difference between on and off. The shock in general seems fine when you push down. The rebound works, but see no difference in feel when the lockout is activated. There seems to be no oil leaking anywhere on the outside.

    I am mechanically inclined so if necessary I can rebuild the fork myself. I have a few questions first though.

    1. Can I check anything to fix the lockout without rebuilding? There is no floodgate (gold) knob. It only has a flat plastic black tip on the top and the blue compression knob turns
    2. If a rebuild is necessary which kit do I need? Should I do both sides? Here are links to the kits I think I need. Are they correct?
    http://www.bikeman.com/FK3993.html ; http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchan...ct_Code=FK3995
    3. I believe I need 5wt in the top and 15wt oil in the lower. Correct?
    4. Is there anything else I need or missing? Tools?

    I have the SRAM Manual and few links to help out. Please let me know, thanks!!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aresab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,239
    It sounds as though your a little low on oil, that could either be from some small seepage or an oring which has started to go, leaking damper oil on the lowers. The oring is very cheap, a dollar at best. You don't mention the age of the fork, if it's older, you may be better buying the RockShox service kit and replacing all orings. Those forks are really easy to work on.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17
    The bike is an 08' so the forks aren't new. I bought the bike used and noticed right away about the lockout not functioning. Are those the proper rebuild kits? Figure u might as well do both at the sametime if necessary.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aresab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,239
    They should have everything you need to rebuild the fork except for oil and bushings, which are not easy to replace.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,286

    follow Srams instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by ftlaudfuji
    I have been reading through a bunch of threads and watched a bunch of videos on you tube about fork service. I currently have a Recon 351 with poploc (no adjustment knob on Handlebars poploc). There is no difference between on and off. The shock in general seems fine when you push down. The rebound works, but see no difference in feel when the lockout is activated. There seems to be no oil leaking anywhere on the outside.

    I am mechanically inclined so if necessary I can rebuild the fork myself. I have a few questions first though.

    1. Can I check anything to fix the lockout without rebuilding? There is no floodgate (gold) knob. It only has a flat plastic black tip on the top and the blue compression knob turns
    2. If a rebuild is necessary which kit do I need? Should I do both sides? Here are links to the kits I think I need. Are they correct?
    http://www.bikeman.com/FK3993.html ; http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchan...ct_Code=FK3995
    3. I believe I need 5wt in the top and 15wt oil in the lower. Correct?
    4. Is there anything else I need or missing? Tools?

    I have the SRAM Manual and few links to help out. Please let me know, thanks!!!

    and you will be fine. I rebuild someones last month, air chamber was bone dry from the factory yet still worked somehow. Just order the seals/o-rings and replenish the fluids as you wait for them to arrive. It's going to ride nice w/ new fluids. If it leaks install the seals.

    You need a cheap lock ring tool, think that's what it's called or maybe it's a spanner?, just get it at doitcenter. It's to get the metal clips off (on the blue top cap, and a couple others inside). Don't try to get it off without the tool.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    If your MoCo unit is bad, I just removed a fully-functioning, non-remote unit from my '08 351 and replaced it with a Reba/Rev flood-gate adjustable MoCo unit. PM me if interested.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,066
    Here is an email I got from Sram

    Hi
    Thanks for your email. There are two service kits for the Recon 351 available. If you're looking to rebuild the damper side, the part number would be 11.4015.250.000. If your fork has an air spring, the air service kit is 11.4015.251.000.
    Thanks,
    Nate Newton
    SRAM Dealer Service

    I bought the kit from universalcycles.com (A little cheaper than bikeman)
    Item # 16210-68435
    Reba/Recon/Revo/Pike Air Service Kit Dual/Solo Service Kit

    Item # 16210-79356
    05-08 Reba/06-09 Recon/06-09 Revelation/05-10 Pike Motion Control

    I would use the enduroforkseals.com fork seals if your gonna pull it apart. I used 5wt on one side, and 15wt in the other on the uppers, and 5-40 synthetic motor oil in the lowers.

    Here is a link to Rock Shox manual and specs for your fork.
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...nual%20web.pdf

    Hope this helps. This was the first time I pulled my forks apart, so it took a little while to rebuild them, but I could do them now in about 20-30 min, for a complete rebuild.
    Last edited by nov0798; 02-09-2011 at 08:16 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17
    ok, I just ordered all parts for the fork service. Should be here next week. Thank you for the information and confirmed parts.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,066
    NO problem!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17
    So I figured before all the parts get here next week I would sneak a peek at the MC side on the fork. I was very surprised to see barely any oil. I poured out the remaining oil and filled to right amount (118CC/ml). Put everything back together and to my surprise lockout now works. Also the feeling of the shock feels way better. I can understand why people say the word plush now. Messed around with the rebound how I wanted and now excited to take it out on the trail tomorrow. At first I was pissed I ordered parts, but I guess when I have time I will rebuild the forks without having to wait for parts to arrive.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aresab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,239
    If it was that low, it's probably leaking and you'll need to replace the o-ring. Just a guess, but there is probably too much oil now in the lower leg.
    Last edited by Aresab; 02-11-2011 at 07:02 AM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,066
    Yea, you should drain the lowers, and replace with oil. You can use regular motor oil, like a 5-20, i use synthetic! You should use about 15cc/ml in each lower. The bolts would then be re torqued to 50-60 inch pounds.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    If it was that low, it's probably leaking and you'll need to replace the o-ring. Just a guess, but there is probably too much oil now in the lower leg.
    This was a common problem on 2008 Recons. Some forks came with an undersized o-ring used to seal the uppers from lowers where the rebound damper rod slides through. Since you just filled your uppers, you will likely find out soon if this is an issue with yours since your lockout will stop working and your fork will start bottoming out without getting full travel.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    This was a common problem on 2008 Recons. Some forks came with an undersized o-ring used to seal the uppers from lowers where the rebound damper rod slides through. Since you just filled your uppers, you will likely find out soon if this is an issue with yours since your lockout will stop working and your fork will start bottoming out without getting full travel.
    Anywhere to get just the o rings? What are the correct sizes for the Recon 351 solo?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    you'll need to take out the comp damper and replace the lower o-ring. Also you may need to check and replenish the oil if necesary. it should work fine after that.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,286
    Anyone know if there's an updated seal that's larger(the piece where the o ring sits)? Or better damper fit in the 08' Recon 351?

    This isn't my fork, but I always work on it.. hate the nitrile gloves and this is happening more often. Sux cause the Recon is pretty good.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    Anyone know if there's an updated seal that's larger(the piece where the o ring sits)? Or better damper fit in the 08' Recon 351?

    This isn't my fork, but I always work on it.. hate the nitrile gloves and this is happening more often. Sux cause the Recon is pretty good.
    Did you already try replacing the o-ring with the proper size one? The o-ring that came with my 08 Recon 351 was undersized. I got a seal kit from Universal Cycles and replaced just the inner and outer damper rod o-rings and haven't had a problem since. Also check the plastic piece to make sure there aren't any burs.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,286
    Yeah, maybe it's deformed, I'll check that thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •