mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Recommendations for a 26" front fork.

Any suggestions on a front fork for a 2004 s-works epic? I'm building up a 2004 s-works epic frame and need a recommendation for a fork. I believe it originally came with an 80mm fork, but I think I could go 100mm as well. I'm looking for a "value-build" and something I could buy used. I need a fork that works with v-brakes.

mtbr member

mtbr member

Re: Recommendations for a 26" front fork.

If I interpret your profile information correctly, you're in the Minneapolis area. CL in your area has a Rockshox SID for a good price.

Sent from a boring meeting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am in the Minneapolis area. Saw the CL post, but not sure about the 130mm shock. Thanks for the response though. I know the stock 2004 epic came with an 80mm fork, but I'm thinking of giong with the 100mm fork. Should mess with the setup too much. Thoughts? Looks like I can get the r7 pro on ebay for a little over $300 new.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure I believe the listing. I don't know if the SID was ever available in 130mm travel - perhaps someone else has better information than I do about that. However, it's pretty simple to adjust the travel in the SID - there are spacers available to reduce the travel. Your bike shop could do it for pretty cheap, and then you'd have a really nice fork. Any used fork should probably be opened up anyway, at least for an oil change/clean up, so it wouldn't be wasted effort.