mtbr member

Recommendation for replacement shock for rear shock for Spec. Safire expert

I want to change the original rear shock that I have on my 2010 Specialized Safire Expert to something that is not proprietary to Specialized ... any recommendations?

Former Bike Wrench
    Well you'll lose the Brain function, but if that doesn't matter to you the Cane Creek Cloud Nine comes in the size you need (185mm x 45mm).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Contact PUSH and have them custom build one for you.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I was in about the same boat with my '08 Stumpy FSR...same suspension design as yours without the Brain. I hated the Triad. I'm not fond of the Brain either, but that's a preferential deal and not a general knock on the Brain. My bike and yours will accept an off-the-shelf 7.5 X 2.0 shock. I went with a Monarch 4.2, and it transformed the Stumpy. The Monarch has an accessible IFP pressure valve unlike most all other inline shocks, so you can fine tune it to your bike and riding needs. I went with the mid-tune model (M). I ran the bike with a 120mm fork and the Monarch which yielded almost 140mm of rear travel. The bike still handled fine without being twitchy or scary. Still, I'm a slack geometry guy, so I tried out a 130mm fork and now run a 140mm Pike. The bike is so much better in overall performance and is practically a different bike now. Bottom line is that our frames will accomodate the conventionally size 7.5 X 2.0 shock. And unless you go below 120mm on the fork, I don't think you get an odd handling bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNC; 06-09-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add pic

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone, I took my bike in, they sent the rear shock back to Specialized, they said the hose from the shock to the brain was severed...works fine now, but I just did not like being charged 150 for this...felt is should have been under warranty, I only rode the bike <50 miles-100 miles when this happened. (I was injured most of last year)

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by bubu13 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I took my bike in, they sent the rear shock back to Specialized, they said the hose from the shock to the brain was severed...works fine now, but I just did not like being charged 150 for this...felt is should have been under warranty, I only rode the bike <50 miles-100 miles when this happened. (I was injured most of last year)
    Ouch! I just never been a fan of Brain shocks. I work at a Spec dealer, and lots of people like Brain shocks, but I swear I can always feel that hitch in the action of the rear end no matter what you do or how you set it. But hey...that's why we have choices. Glad you got it fixed.