mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Rebuild or Replace Marz. Drop-off Triple?

Hey,
    I just picked up a Kona Stinky Dee-Lux, probably '05 or '06 model. The fork on it is a Marzocchi Drop-Off Triple with the dual crown. Looks cool, but bushings are shot and it's leaking from... everywhere.
    I don't mind spending a little money on a fork or fork work, as I got the bike for a pretty low price. This frame has the 1 1/8th inch head tube.
    My main question is what am I giving up, if anything, if I swap out the fork for a RS Domain or Marz 55/66 single crown?
    The stanchions on the newer 170/180mm forks are in the 35mm range, while my fork has 32mm stanchions. But the Domain and Marz 55/66 are single crown, with fatter stanchions.
    I think the dual-crown looks good, but I don't mind installing a newer single-crown IF the newer fork is going to be as stiff/stable as a dual-crown.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    The drop off triples were not the best forks to start with, so you would be throwing money away trying to fix them imo. They were sprung to soft, and the air preload just made them way to harsh on smaller stuff. This thread goes into more detail Drop off triple info
    Stiffness wise, I don't think you will notice much, especially with the 20mm thru axles, if any difference with the newer, fatter stanchioned forks you have mentioned. The Domains are quite heavy, as are the marz 55/66. Depending on your riding that may not be too much of an issue for you. You could go for some lyriks as well if you have the money.

mtbr member
    Before even considering a Marzocchi fork I recommend reading this also:
    New Bike Build, Should I "Look" At Marzocchi?

I recommend Fox or Rockshox fork. Also X-Fusion might be a good choice but I don't have any own experiences on that. You might also want to consider Rockshox Lyrik (as suggested) or Totem instead of Domain. I like Mission Control DH -damping in my Totem and it is quite easy to tune shim stack to modify damping to suit your personal preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was in a similar situation as the OP: For a long time I ran a Marz Super T; it had same chassis as your Drop Off but with much better internals. The dual-rebound HSCV valving was the best you could get for a while.

Eventually I replaced it with an RS Domain. Compared to the Super T, Domain is better in every single way- less brake dive, plusher, more adjustable, much better damping, doesn't spike, hugely more stiff, plus it weighs a pound less. So Super T is better than a Drop Off, and a Domain kills a Super T. I was worried it would not be an upgrade but that was put to rest the first time I rode it. Major improvement, noticed immediately.

I have no ride time on new Marz forks but I know the lower-end ones will have the same damping as your Drop Off- avoid those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Alright, you guys convinced me. The Drop-off will have to go. I'll see what I can find in terms of Domain or Lyric.
    Thanks!