mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Rebound damping and jumping

I'm having trouble settling into the 2011 Kona Coilair I just bought. It pedals amazing, and handles the rock gardens pretty well, but I'm having trouble jumping straight. Too often, when I get in the air, I'm rotating in the air unwantingly.

I'm wondering if this could be in part due to the G2 (and G1) magic link's undamped aux shock. It has no compression damping, and more importantly, it has no rebound damping; after all, it's just a spring.

I came across the cane creek double barrel tuning guide and it mentioned that if you're getting bucked too far forward when jumping than you may need to increase the high speed rebound damping. So rebound damping has SOME effect on how the bike jumps.
    Also, it seems the more I preload the suspension going into the jump, the more I get out of control in the air.

Does anyone have solid grasp of the science of jumping full suspension bikes and how the Magic Link's undamped aux shock/spring would factor in?

mtbr member
    Rebound plays a huge role in jumping. Slower rebound makes it easier to jump and more stable in the air.

The other thing... that bike has 200mm of travel! Its always going to feel a bit like trying to ride and jump a sofa.

The magic link doesnt really suspend the bike; the bike isnt really traveling on the aux spring. The aux spring assembly changes the leverage ratio and moves the suspension pivot point. The rear wheel travel is always damped by your main shock, its leverage ratio and wheel path are changing once the magic link starts moving.

The shocks shimmed rebound will adapt to the change in leverage ratio and speed up or slow down to try to maintain a consistent rate, but you might feel the rebound changing slightly in the air which can throw you off... but all in all, thats just a big monster bike with a gallon of travel. Start by slowing down rebound a lot and see if you can get some stability.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow, great answer. Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMartini View Post
    I'm having trouble settling into the 2011 Kona Coilair I just bought. It pedals amazing, and handles the rock gardens pretty well, but I'm having trouble jumping straight. Too often, when I get in the air, I'm rotating in the air unwantingly.

I'm wondering if this could be in part due to the G2 (and G1) magic link's undamped aux shock. It has no compression damping, and more importantly, it has no rebound damping; after all, it's just a spring.

I came across the cane creek double barrel tuning guide and it mentioned that if you're getting bucked too far forward when jumping than you may need to increase the high speed rebound damping. So rebound damping has SOME effect on how the bike jumps.
    Also, it seems the more I preload the suspension going into the jump, the more I get out of control in the air.

Does anyone have solid grasp of the science of jumping full suspension bikes and how the Magic Link's undamped aux shock/spring would factor in?
    Suspension setup can make the bike nosedive or Hannah, but if your sideways, like left or right it's a balance issue. When I teach BMX kids I tell them to set up earlier - so start coasting earlier and level your pedals. Most of the squirreling off jumps is b/c the left/right balance sucks. You should pick a leading foot, most go with the hand they right with, and always have that foot forward when jumping. Also keep your pedals level (that should go without saying).

Once you decide the foot (hopefully already have a fav) manual a bunch. Just in parking lots or into your bosses office or whatever, and it will help with balance and get you use to the bikes for/aft balance point.

On FS you sometimes gotta preload it more purposefully if the front/back isn't balanced too.
    ORP

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    fast rebound can definately 'buck' you and depending how hard the 'buck' could certainly send you left or right. doesnt the coil on the aux shock have a rebound adjustment that you can slide a 2mm allen into and adjust? i rode a magic link bike for a bit and one of there factory riders recommended i run the rebound at its slowest or just a click off because it can get bucky. can you upgrade to the air aux shock that the newer magic link frames run? may be worth the investment. good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by raman503 View Post
    fast rebound can definately 'buck' you and depending how hard the 'buck' could certainly send you left or right. doesnt the coil on the aux shock have a rebound adjustment that you can slide a 2mm allen into and adjust? i rode a magic link bike for a bit and one of there factory riders recommended i run the rebound at its slowest or just a click off because it can get bucky. can you upgrade to the air aux shock that the newer magic link frames run? may be worth the investment. good luck!
    ya, thinking that a while balance is key to left/right motion in the air, a fast rebound will exacerbate any amount of being off balance.

My bike is a 2011 Coilair so the aux "shock" is just a spring. You can adjust the preload collar is a small allan wrench, but the coil spring definitely does not have any rebound damping. Only the new air aux shock has rebound damping.

There was talk of Kona making an air shock conversion kit for my bike, but I'm losing hope. They made one for the generation 2 cadabras, but not the generation 2 CoilAir.