mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Rebound damper substitutes for Psylo SL?

I have a Psylo SL with a stripped rebound damper shaft. The white plastic needle valve dosnīt move up or down when you turn the knob. Iīve been looking at assemblies from other models and found one for a SID that looks identical to mine (JensonUSA part#-FK308F00). Does anyone know whether RS used the same damper shaft for various models of forks?
    Don
    Last edited by violagran; 02-18-2011 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

forgot to mention

The tube that the assembly fits into has a 32mm interior diameter and the damper is 178mm long with all fittings removed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

a Picture of it

just to clear things up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebound damper substitutes for Psylo SL?-dsc00194_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Found out for myself.

Thanks for the help guys. In the end I found out for myself that the shaft of the SID rebound damper is the same as the Psylosī and you only have to swap the head assembly from one to the other. The RS part # is only slightly different 110-005589-01 instead of 110-005589-00. After receiving no help on the last question, could someone give me an idea where I could track down bushings and a firm spring (blue)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You asked a very specific question regarding an old fork. Are you really surprised no one had a quick answer for you? With something like this it's usually best to just call Rock Shox directly and ask them. They'll also be able to give you the part numbers for the parts your asking for, and then you can order them through your local shop.

Additionally, if you're replacing bushing in an Psylo, you should really consider upgrading to a new fork. Suspension forks have come a ways since the Psylo.

mtbr member
    But they are still pretty good forks. Not everyone has a disposable mentality.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    If anyone does have a source for Psylo bushings I'm also interested. Not for myself you see.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    But they are still pretty good forks. Not everyone has a disposable mentality.
    See, I disagree on that. They are shockingly flexible forks, and I never thought the damper was very good. Modern XC forks eat its lunch. I hear they are good, however, for 650b.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    If anyone does have a source for Psylo bushings I'm also interested. Not for myself you see.
    Really glad to see you're ok.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Thanks for the replies but......

Iīm totally in agreement with Shawn in that just because something needs to be fixed you shouldnīt throw it away. Bushings are a wear and tear part and need to be changed in even the best shocks and I donīt have the funds for a new fork. As far as flex is concerned, the friend that gave them to me raced with them here in the Sierra Nevadas in Granada for 2 years and had absolutely no complaints about flex. The only problem is that a lousy mechanic got his hands on them and left them next to useless (badly installed seals and no cleaning). I now have most of the parts to rebuild them which havenīt cost me much and I really need a fork with variable travel and lock-out for where I ride and also because I have a 2000 Klein Attitude that would climb like a tank if I put a fixed long travel fork on it. To Bad Mechanic, if Rock Shox used the same damper assembly on SIDs till 2008, it couldnīt have been all that bad.
    If anyone knows of a decent supplier for parts of older forks like mine it would be greatly appreciated. In Spain itīs next to impossible to find parts and there is only 1 official supplier. At the moment Ebay has been my only source.
    Last edited by violagran; 02-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Good for you. I have two of them on backup bikes and for their purpose they work great. Yes, forks have gotten better, but they are also at least twice as expensive as the Psylo was, brand new. I also have a Sid 100 that needs to be rebuilt. I may have to buy another frame just to use it!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Shawn. I figure that if I could ride the same trails 18 years ago with a rigid fork (although a bit hair raising), the Psylo will be a great improvement (Iīve had an Manitou SXR in between). I agree that things have improved alot since 2003 when the Psylo was made but when you look inside the majority of the newest forks, the changes are subtle to say the least. Theyīve increased the diameter of the stanchions and beefed up the lowers as well as a few improvements inside, but for a less demanding rider like myself, they are more than I need. It always irks me to throw something away and I love the challenge of fixing stuff and getting it to work nicely again.

mtbr member
    Lets see a picture of the bike when it's done.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT