mtbr member
    May 2005

Reba u-turn coil (can it be done?)

Anybody ever drop a u-turn coil in to a 120mm Reba (26" wheel)? Wondering if you could use a Pike 95-140mm and just change the oil volumes? I know it can be done with a Rev. but can't find anything about the Reba's. Didn't the older one come in a coil version?
    Last edited by OffCamber; 01-03-2013 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    It's been done for the 80-100mm travel Reba 29er with a Pike spring.
    I'd expect it would work for the 120 26" Reba as well.
    Just speculation though, I haven't seen one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Anybody ever drop a u-turn coil in to a 120mm Reba (26" wheel)? Wondering if you could use a Pike 95-140mm and just change the oil volumes? I know it can be done with a Rev. but can't find anything about the Reba's. Didn't the older one come in a coil version?
    The rev uses a sektor spring. My rev and reba appear to be exactly the same internally so I would assume you could easily use a sektor uturn. I saw some 100-140 and some 110-150 uturn sektor springs on google.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    The rev uses a sektor spring. My rev and reba appear to be exactly the same internally so I would assume you could easily use a sektor uturn. I saw some 100-140 and some 110-150 uturn sektor springs on google.
    My biggest concern is at the 140mm level. I don't think it will be a issue at 120mm and below. Will it extend past the bushings or anything like that? Probably only ride at 130mm like my Lyrik but just don't want to damage anything.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    It's been done for the 80-100mm travel Reba 29er with a Pike spring.
    I'd expect it would work for the 120 26" Reba as well.
    Just speculation though, I haven't seen one.
    I did read the info on the 29er conversion. I assume the legs are longer so it allows for the 140mm. Just double checking for the 26er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My biggest concern is at the 140mm level. I don't think it will be a issue at 120mm and below. Will it extend past the bushings or anything like that? Probably only ride at 130mm like my Lyrik but just don't want to damage anything.
    It probably would if you ran the spring out that much but with the uturn you can just wind it down to you get to the 120mm ish mark. You're physical limitation will be the damper rod length.

With the uturn spring you can set it to the length you feel comfortable with and then install a bumper on the damper rod under the piston to take up the free play. Personally, when I converted my rev I used the bumper from the positive air chamber. It's a little bit over 10mm long and worked perfectly for me. But you will need to measure your available damper rod travel and then figure out how long your bumper needs to be.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It probably would if you ran the spring out that much but with the uturn you can just wind it down to you get to the 120mm ish mark. You're physical limitation will be the damper rod length.

With the uturn spring you can set it to the length you feel comfortable with and then install a bumper on the damper rod under the piston to take up the free play. Personally, when I converted my rev I used the bumper from the positive air chamber. It's a little bit over 10mm long and worked perfectly for me. But you will need to measure your available damper rod travel and then figure out how long your bumper needs to be.
    Yea, I've been looking for a Rev. (tapered/20mm) to convert but they don't make them anymore and the older ones are hard to find. I saw a Reba and started thinking. I might be trying to do to much. I have all the extra spring parts for a Pike. I figure the Rev. damper is longer and it's an easier swap. I know this is probably not cost effective but if you put a Rev. damper in there would I be able to run it at 140mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yea, I've been looking for a Rev. (tapered/20mm) to convert but they don't make them anymore and the older ones are hard to find. I saw a Reba and started thinking. I might be trying to do to much. I have all the extra spring parts for a Pike. I figure the Rev. damper is longer and it's an easier swap. I know this is probably not cost effective but if you put a Rev. damper in there would I be able to run it at 140mm.
    You'd have to check your bushing overlap first to know for sure. You should also at least measure you're current damper as you might be surprised. You may be able to get 130-135 out of the one you have now if that's enough for you.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You'd have to check your bushing overlap first to know for sure. You should also at least measure you're current damper as you might be surprised. You may be able to get 130-135 out of the one you have now if that's enough for you.
    I don't own the fork yet. It's a 2010 with the BB dampers. Might buy it anyway and if it won't work I'll run it on my hardtail in a fixed position.