mtbr member

Reba SL Dual Air 29er Max Pressure

Hello All,

I am a newb and have been lurking around here for a while. I am trying to figure out the max air pressure that my new Reba SL Dual Air 29er can handle. I am probably more than a clyde. When I use the 60% calculation my shock should be set to 220psi on the positive side. I have read Rainman's blog about the -10 rule on the negative side. I tried searching and found lots of great setup help, but not for anyone as big as me.

I am going to setup the shock tonight, but I just wanted to know how much pressure it can really handle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How much do you weigh?

What is this 60% calculation you're talking about?

mtbr member
    I had read on Rainman's blog to set the the positive air pressure to 60% of your weight. I am a big guy, 6ft3in, 360lbs so that would be 220 psi. I am just trying to figure out if that is too much for the shock.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    220 PSI is, I believe, the max for the Reba. You might consider calling SRAM to confirm. The 60% he's quoting is only a general guide line, don't take it as scripture. You want the fork to sag about 20% of available travel, so set the pressure accordingly and go from there. Also, at your weight, setting the rebound at full fast is the wrong thing to do.

I have to ask, is 6'3" 360# a muscle thing or an overweight thing?

mtbr member
    Thanks for you help. It is an overweight thing. Trying to help do something about that. Cubicle work and sedimentary lifestyle have not treated me well since college.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    360 pounds does a number on a bike. Fortunately for you, you'll be getting lighter fairly quickly. You should still consider going here to pick up tips on beefing up your bike to handle the extra stress:
    Reba SL Dual Air 29er Max Pressure

Most likely this doesn't need to be mentioned, but you have to pair correct eating habits with the excerise to effectively lose weight.

mtbr member
    I appreciate your help. Your link brings me right back to this thread, will you please provide the link again. I really enjoy riding bikes on and offroad, it just something that has escaped me through the last few years. I don't anticipate doing any crazy riding just yet. Will be working on cardio and endurance on easy single track trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Er, sorry. Here's the correct link:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-tall-riders/

Easy is fine, so long as you keep your heart rate up and keep it up for a while.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your new bike, and will be a long time member here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    what do you do with the floodgate?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny fluke
    what do you do with the floodgate?
    When does Reba floodgate become active?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thank you. i rode it today and figured it out. i locked the fork out and started tightening the floodgate till i could go off a steep curb and blow it out. we'll find out tomorrow how it works on the trail. thank you for the link. iunderstand now.